Review by James Craft -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Review by James Craft -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by James Craft »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is an urban fantasy and horror novel written in the vein of authors like Jim Butcher, though with a unique and creative style that is wholly the author’s own. It centers around two main characters, Abigail and Haatim, who are vastly different. Abigail is a practiced demon Hunter with a mysterious past, and Haatim is a recent college graduate who knows nothing about the demons or other creatures she is fighting in this underground war.

Their paths collide when Haatim is targeted by a dangerous cult and Abigail is forced to rescue him. It isn’t immediately clear why Haatim was targeted, but we quickly learn that there is more going on than we might have originally thought. They end up in the town of Raven’s Peak dealing with a huge threat that centers around spreading insanity and evil and have to find a way to put a stop to it.

I really liked that the characters were diverse and different from what we might expect in this genre. The story opens with a different character who seems to be important to this world named Arthur, and even he feels well-crafted and contributes a lot to world building. The author does an amazing job of bringing the world to life and adding in a mix of humor, horror, and action that kept me turning pages from beginning to end.

There were small problems with the book: in particur I would have liked to have spent more time in the town that this book is named after. It was a really interesting place and had some cool twists, but I just would have liked for there to have been more backstory. I also would have liked to see a little bit more of Arthur, because it feels like he was important but then he sort of disappeared. I’m hoping he comes back in later volumes and we get to see more about him.

I think my favorite parts of the story were the action scenes. The author does an amazing job of writing fight scenes and keeping those pages turn, and he is at his best when he is writing action. The scene at the end, in particular, kept me engrossed. I also liked the way he set up various scenes, and there are a few scarier scenes that sent chills up my spine.

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole book easily earns a 4 out of 4-star rating from me and I loved every second of it. There are elements here that might not be everyone, but it never gets too gratuitous of graphic. The story fits into a lot of genres, but the author manages to make it also completely unique and I can’t wait to read more from this author.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds interesting. I've just started reading this as its book of the month in April. So far it's gripping. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds interesting. I've just started reading this as its book of the month in April. So far it's gripping. Thanks for the review.
I really loved reading it and I hope you enjoy it as much! Thanks for stopping by!
Kateen
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kateen »

Great review! I want to check this book out really bad! Already bought a copy to start reading!
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Kateen wrote:Great review! I want to check this book out really bad! Already bought a copy to start reading!
Awesome, I hope you enjoy reading it! This one is incredible and one of the best ones I've read in a while!
jayfiro
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by jayfiro »

Nice job Lincoln Cole, keep it up

-- 04 May 2017, 19:39 --

In Raven's peak, the characters need to be more built into the story
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

jayfiro wrote:Nice job Lincoln Cole, keep it up

-- 04 May 2017, 19:39 --

In Raven's peak, the characters need to be more built into the story
I really enjoyed reading the book and I'm glad you liked it as well! Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”