Official Review: A Dead Husband by Anna Celeste Burke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: A Dead Husband by Anna Celeste Burke

Post by Thimble »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dead Husband" by Anna Celeste Burke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dead Husband, by Anna Celeste Burke, is the first mystery novel in a series of books centered around a character named Jessica Huntington. As the first book in a series, it has some rocky areas, but was an enjoyable read overall. I could see myself reading more from this author.

Jessica is a lawyer in her mid-30s who has recently suffered from marital problems. The morning after her divorce party she finds out that her friend’s husband was murdered overnight. Even though she has never worked a criminal case, she will do whatever she can to help her friend. During the process, she gets in danger, spends a lot of money, and unintentionally forms the “Cat Pack” (a group of helpful people of various backgrounds).

As a character, Jessica is both interesting and unique. She grew up rich, but with distant parents in a troubled relationship. She is also privileged as an adult, aside from her own marriage problems. The book takes place shortly after the housing crash and Great Recession of 2008, so a lot of her friends are dealing with money problems. She avoids becoming an unsympathetic character by being aware of her privilege and using it to help others. She deals with her problems by drinking alcohol and shopping.

Jessica is not an infallible sleuth. This can be frustrating for the reader sometimes, but it works for the tone of the book. It’s not a true cozy mystery, like the Hannah Swensen series, but it has many moments of intrinsic humor. The tone is more like a realistic procedural. Jessica must handle all of the legal and financial paperwork that is necessary when someone dies. She also clashes with the local authorities because she is new to sleuthing and they understandably don’t appreciate outside investigations.

Here are some other things to consider. This book has a lot of drinking and several deaths. There are allusions to domestic violence as well descriptions of other violence. Nothing is overly descriptive. This book would be appropriate for readers of age 13 or above, though a lot of the story wouldn’t be very interesting to most readers under the age of 20.

I rate A Dead Husband a 3 out of 4. The beginning is very slow because of large chunks of exposition, but the pace picks up as the story moves along. I recommend it for readers that enjoy cozy mysteries with an additional emphasis on actual investigative procedure.

A Dead Husband
View: on Bookshelves

Like Thimble's review? Post a comment saying so!
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like the character of Jessica. She knows she is a privileged brat (lol) but uses it for the better good. Also I think the fact that she is not a great sleuth makes this a realistic story indeed.

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>

Post by Thimble »

Amagine wrote:I like the character of Jessica. She knows she is a privileged brat (lol) but uses it for the better good. Also I think the fact that she is not a great sleuth makes this a realistic story indeed.

Great Review!?
Thanks! I wouldn't really say that Jessica is bratty, though. Aside from her monetary and educational success, she's been through quite a bit before the beginning of the book. She's a very well-developed character.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I actually like that Jessica is not an infallible sleuth. Those who always seem to be on point are really hard for me to relate with because they seem so perfect. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds fairly interesting, but I'm not sure that I would enjoy it if it's too slow at the beginning. I love the concept of the Cat Pack, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I LOVE Anna Celeste Burke's books! I'm so happy to see this review from OBC! Yay!
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

tarafarah7 wrote:I LOVE Anna Celeste Burke's books! I'm so happy to see this review from OBC! Yay!
Awesome! This first book was very promising so it's good to see a fan on the forums.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”