Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Never Alone by Kara Lumbley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.

Official Review: Never Alone by Kara Lumbley

Post Number:#1 by dhomespot
» 20 Mar 2017, 11:53

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Alone" by Kara Lumbley.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by dhomespot
Share This Review

Never Alone by Kara Lumbley is an action pack book with some mystery thrown in to keep you going.

It is the second of the series and picks up as Jena is still getting over being held hostage by a serial killer.

Jena is the head medical examiner and Jordan is her best friend and lead detective in the police force. They decide to head our for a little R&R with strict instructions not to be disturbed. While they are relaxing and trying to shake off the close call with the serial killer, they are not aware that Jena is being watched. Jordan does notice some strange footsteps on their last day there and it puts her automatically on high alert.

Michael is usually Jordan’s partner, but with her on vacation, he is partnered with the new guy, Corie.

What Corie lacks in experience he seems to make up for with his spot on instincts. This is a good thing as a dead body soon appears and all is not what it seems. This case has some twists and turns that you may not seem coming.

This book kept me very drawn into it because it was like reading two plots in one book. On the one hand, you have the person spying on Jena. Then on the other side of the coin, you have the murder that has more twist than a country back road. The author does a great job in keeping the story flowing smoothly. The only error that really stood out to me was the use of the word “resentment” instead of “resisting”. If there were more errors, I did not notice them. It does seem to have been professional edited.

I was very impressed with how real the characters seemed. They were very well thought out and they were not your typical cliche` detectives. Most stories that I have read, the detectives are hardened by their years on the force and they do not have close ties with their coworkers. That is not the case in this book and to me, it made the book that much more interesting.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the writing skills of this author. Now I will say, if you are not into cliffhangers, you may not want to read this book until you have the next one on hand. I plan to purchase it really soon. Another thing that I liked about this book was that it was not filled with loads of cuss words and /or sex scenes. While I have no problem with either of those two things playing into the story, I just do not think that it would have helped this story in any way.

Never Alone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
dhomespot's Latest Review: "Perspective" by Peter Kerestur
dhomespot

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 15%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Never Alone by Kara Lumbley

Post Number:#2 by Aimy
» 10 Apr 2017, 14:49

It seems like a good read. And the good thing is despite having 'more twists than a country back road' the story has a smooth flow. :)
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by Chrys Brobbey
» 10 Apr 2017, 15:04

This seems to be the kind of thriller I like, going by the review. To get into the real feel of the story I might have to go back to book one before graduating to this particular book. Thanks for a good review.
Chrys Brobbey's Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 133 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#4 by ashley_claire
» 10 Apr 2017, 17:19

I love books with good twists and turns. Being watched definitely adds a creep factor to this book. Seems like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review!
ashley_claire's Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
ashley_claire

Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 122%

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 10 Apr 2017, 17:57

Ooh. This sounds exciting and scary. I'm going to add it to my to read list. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Metzra" by M. U. Phoenix
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 88%

Post Number:#6 by Donnavila Marie01
» 11 Apr 2017, 04:19

This is an interesting read. The character of Jena intrigues me. The detailed review entices me to grab a copy of this book.
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#7 by dhomespot
» 11 Apr 2017, 23:56

Chrys Brobbey wrote:This seems to be the kind of thriller I like, going by the review. To get into the real feel of the story I might have to go back to book one before graduating to this particular book. Thanks for a good review.

I plan on getting the first book, and I think there is a book after this one also.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
dhomespot

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by Amagine
» 12 Apr 2017, 01:04

The premise seems interesting and I like how you said that the story is like reading two plots in one book. That observation peaks my interest. You also mention cliff hangers though and I've never been a fan of those in my books.

Great Review! : :happy-smileyflower:
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 713 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#9 by dhomespot
» 12 Apr 2017, 06:36

Amagine wrote:The premise seems interesting and I like how you said that the story is like reading two plots in one book. That observation peaks my interest. You also mention cliff hangers though and I've never been a fan of those in my books.

Great Review! : :happy-smileyflower:

I only dislike cliff hangers when the next book is not even published yet. This one, I believe, already has the next book published.
dhomespot

View Reviewer Page