Official Review: A Confession by William F. Aicher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Re: Official Review: A Confession by William F. Aicher

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Philosophy not my take. To be honest when I first read the title on #BOTD, I thought it was some love confession or crime confession novel. ?
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Looks like this book makes you think about your own truths in life and your life choices. I wonder if the author is talking about a fictional person here or himself-herself? Would not be my first choice to read, but is one that makes you stop and think. Not a leisure read, I think.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
altmanfauve
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by altmanfauve »

Appreciated review on the book. I read a bit of the book, and can agree with most of the points made by the reviewer. It is a raw opinion, perception and introspection on life. Worth the quick read.
dana012
Currently Reading: Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana012.html
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski

Post by dana012 »

The part where the main character is directly talking to the reader sounds really interesting. The philosophical nature of the book also intrigues me. I would love to read this.
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

At first I wasn't so sure about wanting to read this book, but after your review, I'm in! It sounds really good! I got my copy earlier and I am ready to explore how "good" of a person I am, too! :-) Thank you!
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Wow! I really like the style of narration as well as the premise.
WINFRIDAH JUMA
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winfridah-juma.html

Post by WINFRIDAH JUMA »

It is a nice book to read. Thanks for the review because it encourages us to continue reading after the first pages of simple boredom. The main character challenges us to do what we think is right for us and not what others think is right to do.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I love how interactive this book seems to be. I look forward to reading it.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

The idea of breaking someone down so that they can build themselves back up without the "curse" of childhood or cultural teachings reminds me of the possibly well-intentioned but also cruel truth -telling ideology in which people speak with brutal and total honesty regardless of tact and potential for causing hurt or offense. It's an interesting thought, but I wouldn't want to hold a conversation with someone like that.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like the review on A Confession by William F. Aicher because it accurately reviews the disposition of a person trying living a clean life. I like a book on these story lines.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

It sounds original. Not my usual style, but I have to admit I'm slightly curious about it. I really have to compliment you on the amazing review, though. I hope to write reviews of this quality someday!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
chattykathy
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chattykathy.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by chattykathy »

This does not sound like something that is a mainstream read or the norm when it comes to a book to read. It does sound very interesting though as well as a book that will make you think as you read.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

Great summary and review! I think you give a well-framed window into the world of this book and you don't give too much away as you do it. I like that you specify that this is a philosophical book, as I did see it and wonder what it might be about. I think that confessions are a personal thing, something you share between two or more people, and so the inviting nature of the book--as you describe it--seems to fit well.

I'm wondering, did the book get tedious and preachy at times? Were there any spots where you felt that it might be cliche? You mention that the main character is neither villain nor hero. How do you think the author was able to do this? I am very curious as to see what makes the difference between a confession sounding re-enacted or forced and what infuses the act with sincerity. Thanks for the review, I might just check this one out!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

It was a unique experience to read this book, simply because the narrator speaks directly to the reader. Initially, I wondered what was the point of all this rambling, but the end took me by surprise. In the book, the narrator opens up in brutal honesty about his life and asks us if we would find it in our moral compass to forgive him. While reading this I kept asking myself what exactly was free will and how much of it was acceptable to me?

While some parts had me empathizing with the author, some had me questioning his sanity. The author raises some pertinent questions on life, marriage, and the overall purpose of each action that we take in life.

If you want to look at a book that is brutally honest, makes you question your thoughts, and an interesting narration style, pick this one up!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Looking forward to reading this book as it sounds a very different style of writing where the reader is included in the book. Added to my bookshelves and thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”