Official Review: A Confession by William F. Aicher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A Confession by William F. Aicher

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Confession" by William F. Aicher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blending philosophy with fiction, A Confession by William F. Aicher is a novel about free will, choices and consequences. In A Confession an unnamed main character is speaking directly to you, the reader, as he relates different stories from his past and asks you to judge him. These situations are often relatable enough - a marriage gone wrong and facing therapy and alcohol counseling after a violent outburst, for example - and peppered with philosophical questions throughout.

The main character frequently points out thoughts that many of us have had from time to time, and some perhaps even more extreme. These are merely thoughts and the character is quick to point out he would never do such a thing, but it's very honest and open. It presses how much free will people truly have, and it's interesting that one of his main tenets for life is that everyone have their own freedom. This is why rape is so bad in his mind, for example, because while having that kind of power over someone is exciting to him it's also removing their free will.

As the main character talks a few main themes arise. Interestingly, along with freedom another of the points he repeats is that life is a curse. Not only is it a curse, he points out, it's a curse that is forced upon us, one we aren't free to accept or decline. What I really liked about all of this was how these opinions and beliefs were woven throughout his stories, used to explain how and why he did certain things. When he callously asked a religious woman about her beliefs until she ends up crying, for example, he truly believed he was doing a good thing. As the daughter of a preacher he felt those beliefs were forced on her early in life, and by questioning her and "breaking her down" she could rebuild herself with her own thoughts and opinions into something new. The fallacy of altruism is probably my favorite section, however, as it's both poignant and funny. He lists the best and worst methods for allowing others to see what a giving, great person you are, and he tackles the question of whether altruism is even possible very well.

The setup of this one is very interesting as well. The concept of reader as participant in the book, actively listening, offered food and drink and asked to judge the main character is done rather well. As the story goes on, this becomes the best part of the book, but I would be spoiling things if I shared how.

When I first dove into A Confession I was a little disappointed because it didn't feel like the book I was promised. As I continued on, however, it turned into an exceptional read. The main character is neither hero nor villain, he's relatable but also makes choices I'd never be able to and seems to contradict himself at times but is able to explain himself nearly every time. The other characters in the book are just as strong, and his ability to utilize them for debate is fantastic. Part of the book's twist was predictable but it was done so well I didn't care, and there were even more twists than I could have expected. As such, I'm happy to rate A Confession 4 out of 4 stars. Because of some of the subject matter I can't recommend it to anyone under 18, but I don't think teenagers and kids would be interested anyway. For anyone who loves philosophy and thinking, however, this is definitely one to pick up.

A Confession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like something a little bit outside of the norm. Sounds very intriguing though! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thank you for reviewing this book. I think I will pass on it, because I have so many of my own philosophical ponderings all the time. I definitely don't seek out books that will provide me additional questions like that :lol:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Interesting concept! Looks like the author holds some original ideas about freedom, life and other philosophical queries. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for such an informative review! I'm not sure if this is for me, but I like how the author incorporates many relatable issues in this read. It's always good to read a book that makes you think! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

This looks very relatable and I think it sounds quite compelling. Thanks for sharing this!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Harsh99
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh99.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Harsh99 »

I think it's pretty ordinary and I don't think I'll complete the book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

Thank you for a very meaningful review. I am excited to get started reading this book. I am really interesting in seeing how the author help the reader feel like they are a participate in the book.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

Sounds like a nice complicated philosophical read. It's not a book for me right now but downloaded it anyway. Good job on the review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that you said that the main character is someone who is neither a hero or a bad guy. He is just an ordinary, relatable man who is thinking about the things he did in his life and wanting to be judged because of them. It sounds like an interesting read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like quite the intriguing and complex philosophical read. It definitely sounds like a non-light read, but compelling. I love twists in any story and am looking forward to checking this one out. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

This doesn't sound like your typical book. But the set up sounds very intriguing. Will have to make sure I read it.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

As a person of habit, sometimes I get stuck in reading the same ol' things: supernatural, cozy mysteries, or urban fantasies. I like other things and topics, but I don't always search for them to read.

Reading the description of this book, seeing "Am I a good person?" on the cover, and your review which said that the book combines philosophy with fiction (I loved philosophy classes when I was in college) and talks about free will, well, all these added up to make me very interested in the book.

I have about 12 books that I am currently reading, but I will definitely be reading this one soon.

Thanks for your review and the warning about the slow beginning.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Thanks for the comprehensive review! I think William F. Aicher's A Confession sounds very interesting to read. I am intrigued with the character's philosophy, opinions, and ideas. I also like the idea that the reader is a participant in the book by judging the main character.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Eldamel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eldamel »

Looking forward to checking this book out because of the idea of being open with our thoughts. The whole I thought it but would never do it is the most intriguing - Don't we all have those thoughts? Also the idea of being the listener and judge is intriguing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”