Official Review: Lost Hope Canyon by T.H. Maynard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Lost Hope Canyon by T.H. Maynard

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Hope Canyon" by T.H. Maynard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a fan of horror/suspense novels, I always jump at the opportunity to read a new story. Sometimes the story flops and sometimes I find a gem. Lost Hope Canyon by Thomas H. Maynard falls somewhere in between. At first, the reader follows a horrific story about a boy named William that loses his mother all too early in life, learns that his maternal grandfather hates him and his father, and watches his father get brutally murdered by a mysterious beast in Lost Hope Canyon. This story is merely the prologue to the majority of the novel. Time quickly jumps forward to 1991, the senior year of college for Patrick and Blake. While working on a research project for class, the duo has to try to prove the existence of Big Foot (or Sasquatch). Their research turns up more than they expected, including a strong connection to mysterious murders and missing people at Lost Hope Canyon. Something about this story feels familiar to Blake, but he brushes aside his concern and gets on with his life. Time jumps yet again as the reader rejoins Blake and Patrick, now settled into their very successful careers. Fate literally draws Blake into a hole-in-the-wall pub, where he has drinks with Gus Etaf (Fate). A gift from Gus reignites Blake's interest in Sasquatch and spurs his obsession with going on a research expedition in Lost Hope Canyon to, or deny, the existence of Big Foot. Blake carefully assembles his team and embarks on an expedition that may be the last one for everyone.

Thomas Maynard shows ingenuity with a new take on an old tale. There have been numerous stories written about Sasquatch, but I have never read a story like this. It combines religion, gore, comedy, and science into one epic journey to face your demons. He started his tale with a story from the past. While this initially had me confused, the purpose became clear later on. Interestingly, interwoven throughout the story of the main characters, Maynard includes a tangential story line of the Sasquatch and his offspring. I actually found myself identifying with the Monarch, the male Sasquatch, as I read about his day-to-day tasks to protect and teach his young. These tangents also helped create an ebb and flow in the suspense of the story.

While the plot was incredibly well thought out, the execution was lacking. The perspective jumps without warning as you are reading and can make it difficult to follow the story until you realize what happened. It would be nice to have an extra line between paragraphs, for example, to help indicate that the point of view has changed. The sentence structure was lacking, at least for a suspense novel aimed at an adult audience. I felt some parts were all too predictable and the sentences were too short and simple. The writing style seems more appropriate for young teens, yet the graphic content makes this book inappropriate for such a young audience. While the details create good imagery in the story, they were a bit stomach-churning; definitely not for the faint of heart. The most consistent fault that I found as I read was the use of incorrect words throughout. For example, always using "want" in place of "won't" and "since" instead of "sense". These errors detracted from the quality of the book, but the plot kept me engaged.

The moral of the story is: your demons are not going to go away unless you turn around and face them. William's mother turned her back on her Amish father after he encouraged the family to reject her for having a child out of wedlock with a non-Amish man. Although William didn't know it, this was a demon that he had to face. Blake has recurring nightmares about the beast that killed William's father and is unable to progress further into the dream until he accepts that he must face the demon, instead of run from it. Once Blake fully realizes what Gus was trying to tell him, fate and destiny collide and Blake finally learns the end of the story. Readers can identify with this lesson as everyone has demons, big or small, that they need to face.

I truly enjoyed reading Lost Hope Canyon by Thomas H. Maynard. It had its faults, but the story was one-of-a-kind. Due to the faults in the plot structure and the numerous mechanical errors, I feel that I can only award this story 2 out of 4 stars.

Lost Hope Canyon
View: on Bookshelves

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like if it were revised, it would be a pretty good story. I don't like when scenes change too suddenly or when a book is predictable. I love the moral of the story as you're right, everyone has their issues.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
YOHANNA SOKTO
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by YOHANNA SOKTO »

Lost Hope Canyon by Thomas H. Maynard, Is a story about a boy named William who lost his mother very early in life, and discovered that his maternal grandfather hates him and his father, and watches his father get brutally murdered by a mysterious beast in Lost Hope Canyon. The story is quite dramatic and the moral lesson is just simple; your trouble will never go away until you turn around and face it. The same devil that dealt with his(William) mother is now after him(William) and his father'.
I truly enjoyed reading Lost Hope Canyon by Thomas H. Maynard.I can rate this story 3 out of 4 stars.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting premise. It's too bad the execution isn't better on this. I hope that the author does some revisions to make this better. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The moral of the story is commendable. Yes, indeed we must all face our demons. That is the only way we can overcome our fears, and be victorious in life. This is really a painstaking and thorough review. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”