Official Review: USA, Inc. by Larry Kahaner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Official Review: USA, Inc. by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review for the book USA, Inc. by Larry Kahaner. The book is a political thriller that falls in the C/T/M/H genre. I read this book because of a question that was in the description: “What if the United States were run like a corporation and a madman was in charge?”

USA, Inc. takes place in settings like Washington DC, Chesapeake Bay, and the Caribbean island of Nevis. The story follows Mike Wardman who is a former FBI agent fallen from grace now working for the NOAA. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration agents are known as fish cops. Mike’s ex-girlfriend Marilyn (who is also an NOAA agent) is murdered on a boat called the Judy Bee while out on an assignment. Mike teams up with Marilyn’s sister Evelyn and an old friend named Al to find the killer.

FBI Special Agent-in-Charge of the case Wally Hearst is the reason Mike fell from grace in the agency. Hearst is a thorn in Mike’s side the whole story. He tries to take credit each step of the way for the discoveries that Mike and his team make.

Along the way they meet Richard Kane. Richard is a multi-millionaire cell-tech mogul who has political connections all the way up to the Attorney General of the United States. Mike soon uncovers Kane’s plot to have a few Governors use a Constitutional loophole that will allow them to run their states like corporations and be able to offer stocks publically. Kane buys stocks at ‘put’ and then tries to cause the stocks to fall by creating false political climates hoping to make billions in the process.

Who killed Marilyn? Will Hearst succeed in trying to take credit for Mike’s discoveries? Are there any connections between Marilyn’s murder and Richard Kane? Will Kane’s plot to run the country like a corporation come to fruition? Find out when you read USA, Inc. the latest novel by Larry Kahaner and the first book in the Mike Wardman series.

I liked that the book was well edited. It had short chapters which kept the things going at a rapid fire pace. You could tell the technical aspects of the book were well researched by the author. The dialogue was very good. There were anecdotal stories that really helped bring the characters to life. The author added nice touches to scenes that made it seem like you were watching them take place.

What I didn’t like about the story was that because there was so much technical detail and antecdotes it made the ending feel rushed and unsatisfying. The author could have spent more time tying up plot lines and loose ends. Another thing I did not like was that the ending was full of clichés. Every now and then you can have a character say something is cliché, but saying it too many times makes it seem like it is not original and that you have read it before.

I give USA, Inc. 3 out of 4 stars for the reasons mentioned above. The book is recommended for adults who like political thrillers. This is Larry Kahaner’s first fictional book. I enjoyed his writing style and look forward to the next book in the Mike Wardman series.

USA, Inc.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mark Johnson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thank you for the review. I adore a good spy thriller, but too much of the cliche would be a turn off.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I would enjoy this book as I hate when the authors rush the endings. Plus I've been turned off to political thrillers lately. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a really interesting premise. I live by the Chesapeake Bay, so I love when that awesome body of water gets worked into books and movies. Too bad the ending seems so rushed. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”