Official Review: If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Ag...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Ag...

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me! by DeShaun Johnson is a short but intensely gripping story. Although it’s comparatively brief at forty-two pages, the plot arch is complete and leaves the reader with both a sense of satisfaction and of anticipation.

Because the book is so firmly rooted in contemporary social issues, and the author’s voice resonates so realistically through the main character, I found myself questioning at first whether the book was a work of fiction or nonfiction. However, as events unfold in the story, it becomes clear that we are looking through the eyes of a clearly nonfictional, but extremely realistic, character.

The story centers on two gay men who are enlisted in the military. When the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy comes into effect, it seems as they have it all. They can enjoy rewarding careers while pursuing their personal romantic relationship, so long as they're discrete. Life seems perfect until one of the two begins taking their church attendance and the related teachings more seriously. The subject grows to become a huge rift between the two, leading to a horrific confrontation. The resolution of the conflict, and the book overall, is a surprising and thought-provoking turn.

I very much admire the author's craftsmanship and skill when it comes to telling a tale. His treatment of graphic violence I found particularly notable. Too often, stories feature graphic violence clumsily or gratuitously. In this case, the unfolding of events so captures the imagination that, as a reader, I felt the unreality that the characters themselves were feeling. The violence is graphic, but all the more effective because of its pivotal role in the unfolding of the story. I even found myself wincing, physically, when the main character/narrator missteps and wrenches his ankle. The author demonstrates an excellent capability of utilizing violence within and as an integral part of the story without it being superfluous. This is important because the violence is a keystone to the final revelation of the story when we - and the main character himself - come to a complete realization of the truth of the matter.

There is very little that I can find fault with in this work. However, I was dismayed to note a few editorial errors. There were two occurrences where the wrong word or wrong form of a word was used. For example, in one place, the author uses the word “shuttering” when the appropriate word would have been “shuddering,” and I could not make a case for the pun-style play on meaning I would expect from this author. In another example, an individual character is referred to as “the most beloved men” instead of the most beloved man.

It's really a shame because the author is extremely clever at weaving unexpected imagery through the text of the writing. This both gives insight into the thinking of the main character and elicits varied imagery in the mind of the reader. His use, also, of ASCII created emoticons is part of this tapestry. What at first impressed me as a disjunct with his fluid writing soon became additional evidence of the mindset of the main character. This made it all the more jarring when I'd be stopped by an unexpected word, and try to sort out the meaning, only to realize it was simply a mistake. Because of editorial errors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SandraTWP-BRW's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for such an amazing review. Shame about the editorial issues but this book sounds fantastic.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow this sounds like quite the gripping tale! Thanks for the excellent review! Maybe a BOTD coming up.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”