Official Review: Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Inganjiemmanuel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Inganjiemmanuel »

Rachel Lyons is stuck in a pattern of isolation and avoidance after the death of her father, who died under suspicious circumstances while searching for a mythical treasure ship. Rachel blames herself and Chase Cohen, her then lover and father’s salvaging partner, for his death. She buries herself in work approving grants for a foundation. When Professor Ying, her father’s colleague and friend, reaches out to her about a grant proposal concerning the same treasure her father was trying to find, Rachel feels torn about helping him getting it approved. Adding to the complication, Chase is the captain of the salvaging crew Professor Ying wants to use. Her hand is forced into finding a way to approve the grant when she finds out her brother is kidnapped and the ransom is a piece of the salvaging loot. Will Rachel be able to forgive Chase long enough to tolerate a working relationship? Can she save her brother? Will she lose everything?

The characters are all complex, raw, and damaged, with great backstories. I found myself invested emotionally in the outcome of their individual stories. Rachel is self-reliant, annoyingly stubborn, and distrustful. She is incredibly capable, which makes it easy to forget how truly fragile she is. Chase sees Rachel as the one that got away and desperately wants to win her back. He’s charming, well-rounded, and has a lot of secrets. The book is told in third person point of view with alternating characters narrating, which is done flawlessly.

The writing is descriptive, character driven, and thoroughly edited. The story is woven in a way that leads the reader deeper into spiraling situations without questioning the twists and turns. The pacing is a fine balance between moments of pulse racing excitement and calm character developing moments. Severed Threads is edge of the seat reading.

There is obviously a lot of research that has gone into this book regarding salvaging, diving, and various other cultural information. It is refreshing that McFarren provides enough ship and diving terminology to feel authentic without alienating or boring the reader.

The only criticism is that the dream sequences start without warning, which can be difficult to determine if a scene is reality or a dream.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed Rachel and Chase’s adventure and the side characters were well crafted. The writing was superb and the research appreciated. I recommend this book to romance and mystery lovers.

-- 17 Jul 2017, 00:04 --

Best book over especially in romance
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Severed Threads by Kaylin Mcharred is an excellent thriller mystery and adventure genres book with amazing characters , unbelievable mystery and overwhelming ending.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The book sounds like an amazing thriller. I'll check Amazon's sample to see if I'll like it as much as you clearly did. Thank you for this thoughtful review.
huzaifabaaz
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by huzaifabaaz »

I found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. Underwater intrigue, mysteries, and romance made it hard to put down. Author, Kaylin McFarren, does a great job developing her characters and entertaining her readers. I look forward to the next in the series.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Treasure hunt kind of a stories are definitely very interesting as well as engrossing. The review is very well written and I am totally convinced to read it.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I do have this book on my Goodreads TBR shelf, so I'm glad to see such an indepth review for it. My feeling of wanting to read the book has increased tenfold.
Karolin
Currently Reading: Kardok vihara
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolin.html
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace

Post by Karolin »

Hmm. Nice review. Glad you enjoyed the book! Though I don't think I'll read it. Romance, an unsettling amount of salt water, diving, treasure hunt, a young broken woman? Not my cup of tea, thanks.
“I’m an introvert ... I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky.” - Audrey Hepburn
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace
Jackie Donnelly
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-donnelly.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch

Post by Jackie Donnelly »

What a wonderful review, you have given me a standard to reach for with mine. This book sounds like a great read with a little bit of everything for everybody. I think I will add it to my reading list.
queeneagle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by queeneagle »

A good review. The story is interesting though a little deep for my taste. It sure is unique and have an appeal of its own. Nice work.
twinn
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinn.html

Post by twinn »

I love mysteries but I have always invested in movies. This can be a new beginning because I will be reading this book soon. Thanks for the well-written review.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I like the mystery but not the romance aspect. I like how you describe the complexity of the characters. Good review!
Nyawera Gikaru
Currently Reading: The Worst Pet Peeve Ever
Bookshelf Size: 184

Post by Nyawera Gikaru »

A romantic suspense thriller book, am eager to read it.
Lucy Nasimiyu
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-nasimiyu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Lucy Nasimiyu »

I am a fan of romantic novels with a twist of crime and mystery in it. This seems like a great novel that I would like to read. I just read the free sample from Amazon kindle and I already think the main characters, Chase and Rachael are great. Thank you for the great review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Treasure hunts by well-written characters are good ideas, but dream sequences often throw my interest.
Stefftembo
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Stefftembo »

Great review thank you..looking forward to it

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”