Official Review: Bishop's War by Rafael Amadeus Hines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Bishop's War by Rafael Amadeus Hines

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bishop's War" by Rafael Amadeus Hines.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Bishop is a killing machine and the most decorated soldier in recent U.S. military history. When he retires from 14 years in the special forces he comes home to live the quiet life in Manhattan with his childhood sweetheart Maria. The quiet life is not ready for him, however, and he ends up being confronted by the same terrorist operatives he was fighting in Afghanistan. When he prevents a suicide bombing by the Afghan terrorists in Union Square he makes himself and his family the terrorist's new target. The operatives get more than they've bargained for, though, because John's family is not ordinary. They are the Valdez family, New York City's most notorious mob.

Through a series of unfortunate events John and the entire Valdez clan end up in a two-week-long war with the Afghan terrorists in the heart of New York City. They also find themselves at war with the Deputy Director of Homeland Security Michael Meecham. He is a self-important psychopath convinced he will be the next president of the United States. When he is insulted by John's hot-tempered cousin Felix in front of a room full of military personnel, he vows to destroy John, Felix and Gonzalo, the head of the Valdez family. What ensues is a fast-paced action thriller that takes the reader to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Mexico, Greece and the United States. It is an exciting ride that the reader won't want to disembark until they've reached the end of the book.

Bishop's War is the debut novel by Rafael Amadeus Hines. It is the first in a series of books centered on John Bishop, but it is far from amateur. The writing quality is comparable to bestselling authors on the market today. Reading this story is like watching a Hollywood action thriller complete with a fast-moving plot, believable characters, a compelling story and some comic relief. All that's missing are the popcorn and the Red Vines. Mr. Hines develops characters that readers can easily relate to, like John, Felix and Maria. Even though they are part of a crime family, they are likeable, fiercely loyal, self-sacrificing and true to their word. It is easy to root for them. There are also characters readers will love to hate, like Meecham. He is a detestable man. People will long for his comeuppance.

Even with the great writing and captivating scenes, readers with weak constitutions will not enjoy this book, as there is abundant graphic violence and gore in the story. Some people may also find the profanity in the book excessive.

Action thriller fans will love this story. Mr. Hines writes a great novel, with smart dialogue and well-written emotional scenes that are not overdone or cliché. It is engaging and has the reader invested in the outcome of events. There are only a handful of grammatical errors which is impressive for a book nearly 450 pages long. I rate Bishop's War 4 out of 4 stars. Read this novel and then look forward to the next book in the series, Bishop's Law.

Bishop's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Although not typically something I am interested in reading, it sounds very interesting! Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your response! I wasn't sure about this one at first, either, but it turned out to be really entertaining.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an action-packed and very engaging book :) However, I might be bothered by 'abundant graphic violence and gore'. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Rafael Amadeus Hines on such an obviously well written book.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your response!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the great review! A book that is "...like watching a Hollywood action thriller complete with a fast-moving plot, believable characters, a compelling story and some comic relief." sounds exciting! Though I'm not sure about the gory and graphic scenes, the rest of the book sounds interesting. Congratulations to the author for the positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Well written, "smart dialogue, well-written emotional scenes, a fast-moving plot, believable characters, a compelling story" and free! Sounds like an action-packed and exciting tale. I will definitely check it out, especially as this is the BOTD. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

Wow this sounds great! It's reminiscent of a James Patterson thriller, my favorite author. Great review, I can't wait to read it myself!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

John Bishop's complicated story makes reading meaningful. He leads us to the secret life of men in uniform. Since this is a great read, I can't wait to have a copy.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Great Review. This book sounds like it will be action packed. I don't normally read these books but when I get a wild hair I sometimes go for a different genre. This sounds like it would make a great movie!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book. I love books that keep you on the edge of your seat. Bishop sings like a fabulous character too.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

You had me at the synopsis. A mob family against terrorists? Sounds exciting! Thanks for your honest review!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds intriguing. It sounds like a thrilling novel with lots of great action scenes in it!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Wow, the review drew me into a book that I generally would not pick up. However, it does sound like a movie I would watch and that alone makes me want to read it. Filled with action, heroism, terrorism, and the mob? I mean what else do you need in a movie...I mean book.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

Great rewiev and I like the concept of the mobile vs terrorits. Sound like it's lots of actions.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”