Official Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole. Note, this review is of the manuscript prior to full editing. The published edition of the book has been fully edited.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is the first book in the World on Fire series. This horror novel has one of the best prologues to a book that I've ever read. It opens with a former Reverend, Arthur, who has voluntarily committed himself to a special jail that is able to hold supernatural entities. I was instantly thrown into Arthur's inner turmoil about his loss of faith and his moral inability to fight against evil any longer. The repercussions of his many battles against evil has had unforeseen consequences that he will never be able to forgive himself for. It seems like an odd thing to say, but Arthur's internal struggle was an absolute pleasure to read. It was written so beautifully that I could actually feel the weight of his guilt on my own shoulders while I was reading. Arthur's former colleague comes to ask him for help one last time, knowing that he won't be able to refuse a request that involves saving a member of his own family.

The book then cuts to Haatim, a man in his mid-twenties who is left questioning his faith in God after his sister has recently died of cancer. He becomes determined to get his mind off his depression and takes an unusual job from a stranger he meets in the library. He unwittingly finds himself mixed up with a powerful demon that he is no match for. Abigail is a demon hunter who rescues Haatim and soon realizes that he has ties to the Council of Chaldea, an organization with the sole purpose of protecting the world from supernatural entities. Haatim is ignorant of his relationship to the Council, but follows Abigail along in the hopes that she will continue to keep him safe and he will learn more about the sudden turn that his life has taken.

Abigail is summoned to check out some strange activity in the town of Raven's Peak. Townspeople have been acting strange and the Council believes it could be connected to supernatural activity. When she and Haatim finally get there, they are confronted with one of the most powerful demons Abigail has ever faced. Abigail realizes she has a deeper tie to Raven's Peak, but has no memory of what it might be. Trying to figure out her connection to the town, keeping Haatim safe, and battling a demon all at the same time has Abigail in way over her head. Haatim is forced to begin figuring out what his role is in this supernatural world.

Raven's Peak was a very enjoyable book to get sucked into for a few days. The beginning gripped me right off the bat and the rest of the book continued it's hold on me until the very end. I love the completely platonic relationship between Haatim and Abigail. I finished the book and found myself a little surprised that nothing romantic ever developed between them. I've become so accustomed to authors trying to force this element in their books that when it didn't happen I was left a little stumped. It shouldn't be such a surprise when a male and female character can be strictly friends in a book, as it happens quite often in real life. I'm very glad the author decided to keep their mentor/student relationship throughout the book, as I think it suited their personalities much better than a romantic relationship would have.

"The only true weapon he'd had in his battles against evil had been his faith. Something he'd lost long ago." The obvious themes of this book are good versus evil and right and wrong. These sound like basic, old hat themes for a book and it's nothing too surprising. However, Cole goes a bit deeper and the characters struggle a lot with having to do the morally wrong thing while in the midst of taking down a greater evil. You can see how these questions have tortured the former Reverend in particular, to the point that he isolated himself from the rest of the world.

This book wasn't without problems. Editing errors such as missing periods and misplaced words throughout the book take away from the enjoyment of reading. I might have been able to overlook a couple of these errors, but they occur steadily throughout the entire book. Another small gripe I have is Haatim's character. I found him pretty unlikable due to how immature and extremely sheltered he comes off at times. One example of this is when he asks Abigail which way to hold a gun. He is supposed to be a man in his mid-twenties who has lived away from home before, yet he doesn't even know which is the dangerous end of a gun? The way he reacts to certain situations would make you think he has lived on a private compound his entire life and has never been exposed to the outside world. His naiveté was just a little too unbelievable.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. As a whole, the book was very enjoyable and I would love to read the next book in the series to see where the author takes it. Though I classify this book as a horror novel, I don't think it deals with anything too extreme and I think many readers of horror and thrillers would enjoy this book. It does have a few particularly gory scenes, so if that's not your thing then this probably isn't the book for you. The lack of editing throughout the book is the only thing keeping it from a 4 star rating.

The above review of the manuscript prior to full editing. The published edition of the book has been fully edited.
Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks, it was definitely a fun read!
Bajpai shikha
Currently Reading: High Hopes
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Bajpai shikha »

Thanks for the review. It's a great read
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The prologue alone got me interested :) Now I wonder how the reverend is related to Haatim and Abigail. Good job on the review.
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

I think the Reverend was my favorite character! I'd love to read the next book to see what happens with him.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! I read another book by this author last year, but it was general fiction (not horror). It's always nice to see an author tackle different genres.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thank you! I agree, an author who can write different genres and do them all well is a great find.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review. The characters and the plots look intriguing. Though i am not a fan of horror books, i think people who like this genre will definitely enjoy it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for reading the review!

Just to clarify something that was mentioned to me, the fact that Abigail and Haatim never enter into a romantic relationship is not a spoiler. It is never even hinted at in the story. I just talked about it in my review because I thought it was worth mentioning how refreshing it was to read about a platonic relationship between male and female lead characters.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Well, now that the editing niggles are sorted, it should be a smooth read - I think I can overlook the character Haatim. It sounds like such a good piece of writing that I want to read it anyway. Excellent review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting! I sampled the book and the prologue was indeed great. It is great that the errors were fixed. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

Great review! You have me really intrigued!! I like how examples were given to help prove a point! I believe that helps strengthen the review. It sounds like a book I would enjoy!!
ashley_claire
Currently Reading:

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking forward to this being the next book of the month to see what others thought about it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! You had me at supernatural entities! This definitely sounds like a read that you can get right into. I like how the two main characters' relationship stays platonic because, like you said, it's almost something you would expect from most novels. I'm glad the errors were fixed and can't wait to read it for next month's BOTM!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”