Official Review: Beautiful Lies by R.M. Lagman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kimmyschemy06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: God is Alive and Well
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: "But My Brain Had Other Ideas" by Deb Brandon

Official Review: Beautiful Lies by R.M. Lagman

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 27 Sep 2016, 22:29

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beautiful Lies" by R.M. Lagman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beautiful Lies is a suspense fiction written by R. M. Lagman.

Told in the third person perspective, the story is about six people trapped inside an elevator car between the 32nd and the 33rd floor of a 50 story building in Southern California.

At past five on a Friday afternoon, Paul and Janice Ford come out of the office of their marriage counselor on the 46th floor. Apparently unhappy with the session, Paul takes the stairs while Janice waits for the elevator and finds a lone occupant, Richard Brill. From the 46th floor, the elevator stops at the 42nd and Harold Hart gets on after delivering pizza at the law offices of Cadley, Deft and Moser. Two more people, Tammy Holme and her boss, Vincent Grimmit, founder and CEO of V.G. Financial on the 40th floor, join the three passengers. Finally, on the 35th, the door opens and Paul comes in. When the elevator car stops and powers off at the 32nd floor, four occupants bring out their cell phones but find out, to their dismay, that their cell phones are not working.

Though the book started with a seemingly uninteresting subject of marital discord, the arrival of Vincent Grimmit on the scene set the story in motion. As soon as the elevator stopped and trapped the passengers, the action kept coming and did not falter until the epilogue, making the book difficult to put down.

In addition to vivid descriptions of neglect and disrepair of the building which the author called ‘architectural octogenarian’, the dialogues between characters were so natural that it was easy to imagine being trapped there with them. Moreover, the author did a great job with the characters. They were all well developed and some of them were even relatable. Janice was a distraught wife who was trying to save the remnants of her marriage, while Paul was an indifferent guy who did not know how to be a husband. Harold was a kind and old former school teacher turned pizza delivery man. Vincent was a conceited and detestable financial expert who maltreated his meek, naïve and stuttering assistant, Tammy. Richard was a sarcastic bystander listening to every story from his co-passengers but was unwilling to share his own.

Halfway through the book, the story took an unexpected turn making it entirely unpredictable followed by more shocking twists and mind-blowing revelations. This is, indeed, one interesting book from beginning to end. While some scenes are amusing and entertaining, other scenes are poignant and moving and some may be offensive.

However, I noticed several errors within the book including missing words, extra words, missing quotation marks, incorrect use of words (like who’s instead of whose and it’s instead of its) and grammatical errors (like I’ll will learn and to used).

In view of the above, I give this book the rate of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy fast-paced and suspense stories. However, the book features delicate subjects including murder, suicide and rape and contains scenes and languages not suitable for young readers.

Beautiful Lies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!

MarisaRose
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: "SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage" by Robert Martin with Keira Ely
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose » 18 Dec 2017, 06:57

The premise of this one sounds interesting but also a bit claustrophobic! I'm glad the dialogues were so natural; I find stiff dialogue to be one of the most off-putting aspects of poor writing. Thanks for the review!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "The Grace Emancipation" by Charlotte Hawkins

Post by kandscreeley » 18 Dec 2017, 08:18

I love the idea of this one! I haven't read any books about people being trapped in an elevator. The twists and turns sound fun too. It's too bad about the editing, but it still sounds like it's worth a try! Thanks for introducing this one to us!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 18 Dec 2017, 10:56

Reading this review made me recall my own experience of being trapped in an elevator. There were 2 of us. At first, we were panicked and cried for help but after seeing all of our efforts were to no avail for nearly 40 minutes, we gave up. I had no choice but to initiate conversation with a stranger which was a novelty to me. That stranger turned out to be a maths teacher. Then, I got this idea to ask him for his help if he can teach me in solving my mathematical homeworks to kill off time being trapped in an escalator. After approximately 2 hours, then the maintenance team, ambulance, firefighter, and police came to our aid. At that time I was nearly finishing my homework. We were rescued, being examined, and interrogated; to their amazement, they discovered that we were more into discussing the difficult maths questions than being found as a traumatic victim.

I think I can relate to this story. Thank you for reading this book. This is the first time for me to come across this book with this type of plot. Thank you for your good review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 18 Dec 2017, 22:05

MarisaRose wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 06:57
The premise of this one sounds interesting but also a bit claustrophobic! I'm glad the dialogues were so natural; I find stiff dialogue to be one of the most off-putting aspects of poor writing. Thanks for the review!
Claustrophobic, indeed :) but all in all it's an enjoyable read.

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 18 Dec 2017, 22:08

kandscreeley wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 08:18
I love the idea of this one! I haven't read any books about people being trapped in an elevator. The twists and turns sound fun too. It's too bad about the editing, but it still sounds like it's worth a try! Thanks for introducing this one to us!
You're welcome. I enjoyed the book except for the editing issues :)

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 18 Dec 2017, 22:09

ParadoxicalWoman wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 10:56
Reading this review made me recall my own experience of being trapped in an elevator. There were 2 of us. At first, we were panicked and cried for help but after seeing all of our efforts were to no avail for nearly 40 minutes, we gave up. I had no choice but to initiate conversation with a stranger which was a novelty to me. That stranger turned out to be a maths teacher. Then, I got this idea to ask him for his help if he can teach me in solving my mathematical homeworks to kill off time being trapped in an escalator. After approximately 2 hours, then the maintenance team, ambulance, firefighter, and police came to our aid. At that time I was nearly finishing my homework. We were rescued, being examined, and interrogated; to their amazement, they discovered that we were more into discussing the difficult maths questions than being found as a traumatic victim.

I think I can relate to this story. Thank you for reading this book. This is the first time for me to come across this book with this type of plot. Thank you for your good review!
Wow! That's awesome if only not scary :) You, sure, could relate to this story.

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: Emotional Intelligence
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 21 Dec 2017, 06:18

Well sounds to me like a happy coincidence traped in elevator, but I personaly prefer stairs until this recently I decided to take the elavator alone. Big step!
Thank you for the review!
" The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without been lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without been harmed...since beginning-less time, darkness tribes in the void, but always yields to purifying light"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”