Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Manang Muyang »

Brenlea wrote:I have not read through all the posts to see if Lee Child has been mentioned and if so, I apologize. But, I like Child's succinct style of writing and books are an easy summer read. I am one who likes to read book series in order but this is one where you can read them out of order and do not as you have missed something.
I have all the Jack Reacher books and will never part with them haha. Lee Child has created a legend. Too bad we have to accept Tom Cruise as the screen version. Not that I don't like Tom. But Reacher he is not. Maybe Liam Neeson or Steven Seagal would be a better fit. What do you think, Brenlea?
Brenlea
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenlea.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Brenlea »

I think Liam Neeson would be the better choice of the two. I agree, Tom is a very unlike choice, main reason being is that Reachers height is an integral par of the novels. Someone once mentioned John Cena but I don't have an opinion on his acting skills. Keanu Reeves would be another good choice -- maybe.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Steve Cotterill
Currently Reading: The Captive State
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Steve Cotterill »

I always recommend the Red Tree by Caitlin R Kiernan, it's so powerful and terrifying.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I am currently reading Mirth, Murder and Mystery by Jenna Bennett et al (a compilation of seven books by seven authors) and it's keeping me awake at nights. Murder and mystery is told by the authors in hilarious and quite funny ways.
Gin Duperre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gin-duperre.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Gin Duperre »

If you read Cozies, I recommend reading Tonya Kappes books or Amanda M Lee. They are both great writers and know how to keep the reader guessing!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
NikkyT
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyt.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by NikkyT »

one of my favourite writers in this genres is Karen Rose, highly recommend her books!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
loves2read14
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loves2read14.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by loves2read14 »

Invisible by James Patterson is a great thriller. I was completely engrossed in that book by the first chapter, and I literally couldn't put it down. The ending is a complete shocker. It kept me guessing until the very last page. Then I had to read it again to see if I could see what was coming once I knew the outcome!
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

John Dickson Carr is one of the most brilliant (if not the most brilliant) crime/thriller writers to have ever existed. While I love and have a tremendous amount of respect for Agatha Christie, Charles Exbrayat, Fred Kassak and Mary Higgins Clark, J. D. Carr takes mystery to a whole different level. With him, the intrigue is always written in such a highly genious way you can never guess who did it and how. But oh my gosh ! does he make you work your mind off trying to solve it. And he has such a way of keeping you at the edge of your seat, breathing heavily in anticipation. Until the last pages, when all becomes clear (or not so) and you are left mouth wide open, thinking : "Holy cow ! How in the world did he come up with that :o :doh: :eusa-think: ?"

One of his books in particular : The Three Coffins, left me completely speechless for hours, days, weeks, months and years after I've read it in my native language, in which it was titled : Trois Cercueils Se Refermeront. I still have that book in my library and I treasure it like no other.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kovna Louis wrote:John Dickson Carr is one of the most brilliant (if not the most brilliant) crime/thriller writers to have ever existed. While I love and have a tremendous amount of respect for Agatha Christie, Charles Exbrayat, Fred Kassak and Mary Higgins Clark, J. D. Carr takes mystery to a whole different level. With him, the intrigue is always written in such a highly genious way you can never guess who did it and how. But oh my gosh ! does he make you work your mind off trying to solve it. And he has such a way of keeping you at the edge of your seat, breathing heavily in anticipation. Until the last pages, when all becomes clear (or not so) and you are left mouth wide open, thinking : "Holy cow ! How in the world did he come up with that :o :doh: :eusa-think: ?"

One of his books in particular : The Three Coffins, left me completely speechless for hours, days, weeks, months and years after I've read it in my native language, in which it was titled : Trois Cercueils Se Refermeront. I still have that book in my library and I treasure it like no other.
I suppose you speak French? I've never read any of J.D. Carr's books but your enthusiasm is infectious. Now I have to look for those three coffins, but have to content myself with the English version. Merci!
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I'd recommend Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson to anyone. Cornwell particularly keeps me glued. One time, the tension was so much that I needed to get to the restroom, but I couldn't bring myself to put the book down.
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

Miriam Molina wrote:I suppose you speak French? I've never read any of J.D. Carr's books but your enthusiasm is infectious. Now I have to look for those three coffins, but have to content myself with the English version. Merci!
Hello ! Oui, je parle francais. (Yes, I speak french) :D
Allow me to post parts of two reviews by two different critics that I found about J.D. Carr and "The Three Coffins". That'll give you and idea about the author and the book before you look for it.
Note : I sincerely hope I'm not breaking any of the forum's rules by doing so. I would be terribly sorry for that.

"The Three Coffins is the definitive locked-room mystery by John Dickson Carr, the greatest exponent of that tantalizing sub-genre. The Three Coffins (1935) is that rare exception--a book that can be read with equal enjoyment two, three, or more times, even though the ending is already known.

Two murders were committed, in such fashion that the murderer must not only have been invisible, but lighter than air. According to the evidence, this person killed his first victim and literally disappeared. Again according to the evidence, he killed his second victim in the middle of an empty street, with watchers at either end; yet not a soul saw him, and no footprint appeared in the snow. Explain.

In the space of a short chapter, key characters are delineated, a menacing situation is set up, and the precise terms in which the novel operates are laid out. From then on, the reader is led through a bewildering but always entertaining hall of mirrors. The Three Coffins is the work of a literary illusionist at the height of his powers.

The Three Coffins was written at the height of Carr’s creativity and is considered by many his best work. It was chosen as one of the 100 Favorite Mysteries of the 20th Century by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association.

In her 1935 New York Times’ review of the novel, Irvin wrote that when Carr created “an ingenious plot, a thoroughly ‘creepy’ atmosphere and a really likeable investigator,” he produced “an uncommonly successful thriller, which will keep the reader’s hair standing happily on end until the last page is reached.”

Inevitably, The Three Coffins feels a trifle dated but its virtues remain untarnished by time’s passage. It is clever, cunning, exhilarating, maddening, and the quality of the writing remains high throughout. This is certainly not an airport novel, still less one to be read on a beach. The ideal place to share its joys is in a high-backed leather chair beside a glowing fire with a glass of champagne at hand to toast the author."

Once you find the book, I hope you read it entirely so you can share your honest impression with me if you care to. Here's a link where you can find it at an affordable prize :
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/ti ... kson-carr/
Nonisha Das
Currently Reading: Murder in Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nonisha Das »

I've recently read "tell me your dreams" by Sidney Sheldon. And, I must say those who fancy thriller and suspense must go for it. About me, I loved it totally. It's basically throwing lights upon a rare medical disorder which the protagonist suffers from. The way author has presented the suspense is really commendable. I'd suggest you people to go give it a try?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nonisha Das wrote:I've recently read "tell me your dreams" by Sidney Sheldon. And, I must say those who fancy thriller and suspense must go for it. About me, I loved it totally. It's basically throwing lights upon a rare medical disorder which the protagonist suffers from. The way author has presented the suspense is really commendable. I'd suggest you people to go give it a try?
I second the motion. Sheldon was a brilliant CTMH author. I have read all his books.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Not terribly frightening, but always a good mystery read: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Love these stories.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Afuglsan wrote:Not terribly frightening, but always a good mystery read: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Love these stories.
That's elementary, my dear Afuglsan. Come now, the game us afoot!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”