Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Secnirp
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Crime, Thrillers, Horror and Mystery Recommendations

Post by Secnirp »

I read lots of books about crime, thriller, horror, and mystery in this thread. It's really helpful in choosing the next book to read.
Augustanewman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Augustanewman »

I love reading thrillers and mysteries such as Stephen King, Koonce, and James Patterson. If you could recommend some books that would be great.

Augusta Newman
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I've been really into genealogical mystery books lately. I love incorporating interesting historical facts into a modern day thriller. There are many different series of that genre available on kindle unlimited. Also, Maisie Dobbs is a great series. Not really thriller books, but complex mysteries solved by a female detective in 1930s London.
-cloudy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by -cloudy »

I just picked up Mary Burton's Dying Scream. Has me on edge lol! Mary has quite the collection of thrillers i would recommend.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

The Store by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo is an amazing book and a must read for James Patterson fans. Set in the future, this book tackles the issue of privacy in the age of technology.

The Store was published on 10 July 2017 and is written very well. James Patterson is a well-known author and does not fail to impress in his new book The Store.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

If anyone is looking for a light Mystery I can recommend A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins. The mystery aspect isn't that deep but it's an enjoyable story with some suspenceful moments, some funny ones and a very well done setting in the background of a circus. There are a lot of suspects too and any one of them might have been the culprit.
kaylaolson35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaolson35.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kaylaolson35 »

I am a huge James Patterson fan. What other authors write like him?
MadisonSRobitaille
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MadisonSRobitaille »

I also really enjoy horror, crime and mystery book... I watched the original IT miniseries as a child. and now have read the book... and to be honest, the new movie just doesn't get into some of the things that the old movie would convey. overall, they were both good in their own way, but if you want a good story then go for the book. :D book;IT by steven king
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Andrew Pyper is a Canadian author who writes amazing scary, supernaturally-bent thrillers. Sort of in the vein of Stephen King, but with less of the bloated wordiness. (Don't get me wrong, I love me some King, but I also have a short attention span and I don't like repetition). Somehow I just fly through Pyper's books.

The Guardians in particular is great (genuinely creepy and affecting haunted house story). Lost Girls and The Damned are also really well done and haunting.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I just finished reading the 'Alienist'by Caleb Carr. i really liked it. It is very dark and the storytelling keeps you turning the pages.
Some of my favorite authors when it comes to the thriller-crime genre are Jo Nesbo (his Harry Hole series are amazing and the movie sucked big time) and Chris Carter.
The latter is very good in describing gruesome scenes and it may not be suitable for the light-hearted but his plots are very complex and always deliver.
Anyways, I am very keen on the thriller genre and I am impatient to read and review some book here :)
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

MadisonSRobitaille wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 21:44 I also really enjoy horror, crime and mystery book... I watched the original IT miniseries as a child. and now have read the book... and to be honest, the new movie just doesn't get into some of the things that the old movie would convey. overall, they were both good in their own way, but if you want a good story then go for the book. :D book;IT by steven king
I watched it too, when I was ten years old. I was a precocious reader so when I liked the miniseries, my mom handed me her copy of the book. Then allowed me to start reading through her Stephen King collection. They were the first adult books I read and it was amazing. It opened up a whole new road although I can't really say what on earth my mom was thinking. I had a lot of nightmares lol.

Did you see the new movie this year?? I re-read the novel again after, it brought back so many memories.
Ibrozone
Currently Reading:

Post by Ibrozone »

Murder on the Orient Express is a great mystery book to pick up if you're looking for a good read. It's part of Agitha Chrisie's Poroit series, so if you've never really been into AC you may not like it.
Ibrozone
Currently Reading:

Post by Ibrozone »

I just read a book called Mean Martin Manning by Scott Stein. It's one of the best, most entertaining books I've read in a while. It's about a man who just wants to be alone, but the government forces him into a "rehabilitation" program because he's living a supposedly unhealthy lifestyle.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I just finished 'Thirst' by Jo Nesbo. It is a great addition to the Harry Hole series and a true gem in the thriller-crime-mystery genre. It is about a serial killer.
It could be read as a standalone book as well even though it is best to know the characters and their backgrounds.
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

I just finished a book called Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero, and it was among the best mystery/thrillers that I have ever read. It has such a playful literary style; so many descriptions are ones that I have never read before, it was very unexpected and surprising. The story itself is completely unique; it is a clear homage to Scooby Doo but with a seriously adult twist, and it was not at all predictable like many mystery tales have a tendency to be. I would highly recommend that everyone give it a try!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”