Official Review: Titan's Story by Joe Fowler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Titan's Story by Joe Fowler

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Titan's Story" by Joe Fowler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Titan’s Story joins the growing cache of modern vampire literature. From the Twilight series to stories of vampires during the War Between the States and Amish vampires, there is certainly no dearth of available vampire stories. Although I felt the author borrowed some of the vampire mythology from Twilight, and there is definitely a romantic subplot, Titan’s Story is not a completely typical vampire love story. The reader is introduced to the very mundane main character on the first page. Ethan (later renamed Titan) works as a dishwasher. The vampire story plot bursts into the forefront early on by an unknown group of “people” bursting into the restaurant where Ethan works and kidnapping all the workers. Ethan is turned into a vampire without his knowledge along with one of his co-workers. Other co-workers are turned into vampire food (known throughout the book as “donors.”)

When Ethan awakes, we are introduced to an alternate world that somewhat mirrors life above ground. Ruling class, lower class, employers and employees all fill this alternate vampire world. The biggest part of this alternate world is that new vampires are required to fight other vampires on their way to earning freedom. Fights are always to the death. Naturally, Ethan does not wish to fight, but soon finds out he has no choice.

Throughout Titan’s Story, the reader is introduced to the politics of the vampire kingdom. Characters are developed; “good vampires” are sorted from “bad vampires.” Much like the real world, first impressions are not always the most accurate. The reader follows the story through Ethan/Titan’s point of view, which causes a bit of confusion, as Ethan does not instantly know what has happened to him. The reader learns the rules at the same rate as would a new vampire introduced to that society. The author does a fine job of gradually introducing the different politics and various factions of vampires who are all vying for power and policy changes. Titan becomes central in this struggle, as he ends up with a special gift that is feared by all. Titan also falls in love with one of the most powerful and dangerous vampires. This relationship could either provide ultimate happiness to Titan, or it could prove to be fatal.

Overall, I loved the character development and the slow unfolding of storyline. Central to the plot are detailed descriptions of the various fights and a continual introduction of newly turned vampires to the vampire kingdom. While the descriptions are important, after a while some of the verbiage became monotonous; I think the author could tighten some of those portions and end up with a stronger book.

I am glad to rate Titan's Story 3 out of 4 stars. The plot is engaging; the characters could be people we all know. The strength of the story lies in the variety of characters and their development. As I said, my only wish is for some of the repeated verbiage throughout to be eliminated or reworked.

Titan's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a good vampire story and Ethan/Titan seems like an intriguing character. The romance part is interesting, too. Too bad, though, about flaw. Great job on the review.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

Seems like an interesting book! I'm definitely adding this to my 'Want to Read' bookshelf. Thank you for the great and detailed review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Hi Greenstripedgiraffe, great review! I am a fan of an occasional vampire book. They can wrong very easily. This one sounds interesting. The idea that no matter where you end up there are still employers and employees is entertaining.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

Definitely reminds me of Twilight. I do like reading vampire stories though. Great job on the review.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the great review!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like an interesting take on a vampire story. I did enjoy the mythology used in Twilight, so I think I might enjoy this one. Thank you for the great review!
greenstripedgiraffe

Thank you everyone for reading my review! This was an interesting story, for sure!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even though vampire stories are almost overdone these days, I still enjoy a good one from time to time. This sounds like it's pretty engaging to read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:Even though vampire stories are almost overdone these days, I still enjoy a good one from time to time. This sounds like it's pretty engaging to read. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading and commenting :lol:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”