The Butterfly Garden By Dot Hutchison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sienacarroll3
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Butterfly Garden By Dot Hutchison

Post by sienacarroll3 »

This book was like a car accident... gory and twisted but I couldn't look away (or in this case, stop reading it!). The book is told as a story by the main character, and uses flashbacks as well as present tense to describe the events. The style it is written in makes it quite easy to follow the plot and understand what is a flashback and what is occurring in the present. The story is gruesome and filled with violent and violating acts, but it is written beautifully. It is told through a young female character and the story itself focuses on a variety of females, which developed a deeper connection between myself and the plot as I imagined myself as a character. It is a chilling story of murder, kidnapping, rape, captivity, and the preserving of life.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

The butterfly garden by Dot Hutchinson

Review by Antares

This book consists of 274 pages and three parts. I struggle with what genre to classify this
book in. It's not a mystery, or a thriller and to be fair it's not even a police procedure. For all the things it's not, it is a beautifully written, thoughtful glimpse of several different stories surrounding the garden, told through three points in time.

The story opens with FBI Special Agent in Charge Victor Hanoverian being briefed before interviewing a victim recovered from the Butterfly garden. Quickly Agent Hanoverian realizes that Maya is not a typical victim. Unwilling to answer even the most basic questions, Maya recites her story of being kidnapped,violated, and her eventual escape. Leading the agent through events at her own pace and supplying only the information she wants known.
As the Agents listen to her account they are startled to discover that this could easily be one of the few times in their careers where a victim's account is so much worse than they could ever imagine​.

What do you do when you have been denied control of the food you eat? Where you sleep? How you dress? What is done with your body? This novel ask all of those questions. The illusion of control is the overwhelming theme. From the gardener try to control every aspect of the perfect creatures he has captured. To the different approaches each character in this ensemble piece has of taking control over something, anything in their lives.

Ms. Hutchinson  intertwines the story between the 'before', 'during', and present times with skill and ease. Bringing her ensemble to life. Each character rich in their own dialog and tempo. The reader is dragged through this haunting story unsure if they should be rooting for death, escape, or if it even matters.This story ends in glass and resin preserved in time. No concrete conclusions. Only questions that the reader is left to ponder.

Overall I can't say that I enjoyed the book. I am not sure that you are supposed to. I did find it fascinating. I can highly recommend this book to the people who read and loved the virgin suicides. I do not however, believe this is a book that general audiences would respond to well. It is very graphic in nature and upsetting.

TL; DR REVIEW

Belonging to the same genre as The virgin suicides, White Oleander, and Paint it black, The butterfly garden is a cynical, harsh look at the different ways people choose to control what they can. The book follows the story of several young women who are kidnapped, raped, tortured, and held captive against their will and their eventual escape.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Anicorvo23

Post by Anicorvo23 »

I recently bought this book, man do I wish I had read your take on it before I did. The back of the book sounded so interesting. I thought that it was going to be a police drama. I feel like though, you maybe didn't nail home how difficult this book was to read. I threw up twice.
I also noticed that you said recovered and not rescued? Was that intentional because, when I read that I was like woa, yeah totally not sure that rescued was appropriate.
Oh and also what did you think about the roommate baby mama character? Did that completely turn off the ending for you?
Antares

Post by Antares »

Anicorvo23 wrote: The back of the book sounded so interesting. I thought that it was going to be a police drama.
I will admit that I was also tricked by the blurb on the back cover. So don't feel to bad.

I'm sorry that the book made you violently I'll. I will admit that I found some of the content to be unsettling as well.
I also noticed that you said recovered and not rescued? Was that intentional
Yes, that was actually very intentional. I felt like the characters were... Incredibly damaged by their experiences. Rescue to me implies that in some way they will be okay. The word suggests that it's all fixed and wrapped up neatly.
Did that completely turn off the ending for you?
I do know what you are referring to; however I don't want to comment on that to deeply. I will say, I felt ambivalent about it.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Anicorvo23

Post by Anicorvo23 »

I like that you compared it to the Virgin Suicides. When describing it I brought up Flowers in the Attic.

I like your thoughts on rescued vs recovered. That makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised more more​ people haven't commented on your review. You make really good arguments. So if I review this book, would I just post it here or?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Anicorvo23 wrote:I like that you compared it to the Virgin Suicides. When describing it I brought up Flowers in the Attic.

I like your thoughts on rescued vs recovered. That makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised more more​ people haven't commented on your review. You make really good arguments. So if I review this book, would I just post it here or?
Yes, you should add your review to this thread.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Antares

Post by Antares »

I would be very excited to read a review of this novel by you. Just don't let mine or the other influence you to much.

Flowers in the attic was also disturbing. I understand why you would use that.
PatAM
Currently Reading: Treasure Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by PatAM »

I absolutely loved this book. I've read the second in the series also and loved it. I can't wait for the next one to come out. I can't remember the titles right now but will look them up. The sequel is less disturbing than The Butterfly Garden. I guess this is really my favorite type of book. If you liked it I recommend Pretty Dancing Girls and Twist of Faith. I'm currently reading Bone Music which is twisted also. LOL It is a February First Read on Amazon. I wish it was easier to add to shelves on here because I have an extensive kindle library.
Carlos Nguenha

Post by Carlos Nguenha »

Yikes!well i could say the it is pretty interest although I've gotten difficult expression but it is nice book.
Antares

Post by Antares »

Carlos-
Have you read the book or just the discussion?
Pat am-
You loved the book? Can you tell me a little bit about why? I enjoyed it as well am I am elated to be able to discuss it.
PatAM

Post by PatAM »

The book grabbed me immediately and I couldn't put it down. The second in the series did too. I'm fascinated by authors who write such twisted stories. I wonder what they would become without the writing outlet. I think it's the psychological aspect of these twisted crimals that grabs me. It's so foreign to the way I think and I know even if I let my imagination go I could NEVER come up with this stuff.

This author did a great job of developing characters, laying a foundation for the story and following through on it. There's a precise beginning, middle and end to both books. I loved the characters and almost felt sorry for the villians. It's great story telling.

I'm currently trying to read Bone Music. I'm REALLY trying because I try to finish every book I start. In my opinion the book lacks a lot of what I liked about The Butterfly Garden. It's all over the place and doesn't seem to have structure. I can't care about anyone in it good or bad and I'm halfway through it. I can't even say I know the main character yet. That's really had in my opinion. I'll be interested in other opinions about it.
Booknerd222
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Booknerd222 »

This book was Deliciously disturbing! it kept me captivated from the first page and holy crap I didn't want to put it down! I listened to it on KU and I definitely want to listen to it again this year. I read it last year. are the other two books worth reading? I heard the second book doesn't have much to do with the first book.
PatAM

Post by PatAM »

The second book is an entirely different case but with the same detectives. I really enjoyed it. All the main characters from the first book are included in it. You learn more about the victims from the first book too. The third book hasn't been released on kindle yet. I think it comes out in may. I like creepy books. The more insane the better. Have you read anything by Greg Iles? His books are great and have a creep factor to them.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”