Official Review: Not Black And White by G.A. Beller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Not Black And White by G.A. Beller

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not Black And White" by G.A. Beller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not Black and White: From the Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by G.A. Beller is a political thriller about the powerful, corrupt men pulling the strings behind Illinois politicians. In particular, an African-American lawyer’s rise up the political ladder is woven throughout the story. Sound like anyone you know? The book is categorized as fiction, although the line between fact and fiction is straddled, to say the least.

Widespread corruption, backroom deals, and savvy political maneuvering are common at the local and state levels in Chicago, Illinois. It’s all about the pay to play philosophy in politics and business, who you know, and who owes you a favor. Much of the story is told in memoir style from the first-person perspective of Mars Gregory, a lawyer turned businessman. Through his powerful business partner Sam Alsheriti, Mars meets Malik Alawi, a young African-American, Ivy League-educated lawyer. Malik is politically savvy and already laying the groundwork to achieve his aspirations of political office at the national level. Insiders know the path to success runs through Sam, who is a political kingmaker.

I enjoyed this well-written book. I was easily able to see the big picture of what’s happening behind the scenes in the massive Illinois political machine. The intricate web of deals is realistically described and I found myself fascinated and disgusted at the same time.

Readers familiar with Illinois politics will likely figure out some of the real-life individuals who inspired the characters. For example, I recognized former Governor Blagojevich and former Senate candidate Jack Ryan in their fictional counterparts. Technically, this book is a work of fiction, but, given the obvious similarities to President Obama’s rise to the Oval Office, it really makes you think about the powerful forces behind real-life candidates seeking office. I found it hard to connect with Malik’s character, but this may be because the central focus is on the powerful people behind him and other politicians.

Mars is an effective narrator, particularly in the sections about his business partner Sam. Still, it took me a while to get into the story. Most of the characters are introduced with long backstories. A vivid picture is drawn of who’s who and their motivations. This also creates a cluttered plot that is slow paced. Some scenes drag on too long with an excess of description, such as the preparations for the dinner with the South Loop project’s investors. The individual sections about various operatives and politicians are absorbing. However, characters are often introduced and then disappear for long stretches. There is just too much going on at different levels and it’s difficult to keep track of which favors and corrupt practices connect to which characters.

The story reminded me of the book Primary Colors, which is a thinly veiled account of former President Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign. The main difference is that Primary Colors focused on the campaign, whereas this book is more of a saga about the long-running, widespread corruption in Chicago and Illinois politics. As such, there are many subplots and a long span of events.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the aforementioned issues, I enjoyed the story as an amazing, dizzying ride. Fans of political and corporate thrillers will find much to like here.

Not Black And White
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the insightful and well-written review. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I think political junkies, especially Chicagoans, will love this book.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Great review! It sounds like a pretty intriguing read, especially with Chicago being right next door to my state. I might have to check it out!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Rssllue for the nice feedback. I am surprised an author is able to write such a thinly veiled account of corruption among real-life politicians, particularly the current president! I wonder if there will be a lawsuit eventually.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

You are quite welcome! :tiphat:

Based on how politics currently works, I would not be surprised.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:You are quite welcome! :tiphat:

I have read this type of book before, with characters inspired by real-life politicians or celebrities. However, in this case, the details are so incredibly close to the actual people and events that I was shocked.
Last edited by bookowlie on 23 Jun 2016, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the well-written and detailed review, bookowlie! I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea, but I can definitely see it being appealing to those who enjoy political thrillers. I'm glad, though, that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

bookowlie wrote:
rssllue wrote:You are quite welcome! :tiphat:

I have read this type of book before, with characters inspired by real-life politician or celebrities. However, in this case, the details are so incredibly close to the actual people and events that I was shocked.
Curiouser and curiouser. :wink:

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the well-written and detailed review, bookowlie! I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea, but I can definitely see it being appealing to those who enjoy political thrillers. I'm glad, though, that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Thanks Hsimone! Although the pacing dragged at times, it was still a fascinating read.

-- 23 Jun 2016, 15:06 --

Rssllue, There are so many similarities such as the birth certificate issue, sex scandal of the opponent when Pres. Obama was running for Senator, etc.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I guess that all of that stuff really set up the story before it was ever beginning to be written. Some crazy stuff to say the least!

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you for the well-written and detailed review, bookowlie! I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea, but I can definitely see it being appealing to those who enjoy political thrillers. I'm glad, though, that you were able to still enjoy the read!
Thanks Hsimone! Although the pacing dragged at times, it was still a fascinating read.
You are very welcome!

Nice! Sometimes I wish I could be more into politics to give something like this a try. However, for whatever reason, I find it extremely hard. :eusa-think:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Even if you are not interested in politics, it's still a good story.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Maybe it can be an entry into the genre for you. :)

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

rssllue wrote:Maybe it can be an entry into the genre for you. :)
I assume you mean for Hsimone? I have read many political non-fiction and fiction books over the years. :) Maybe too many!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”