Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by mrswoodlee »

Boy, this does sound dark! But it sounds like you gave it a fair shake in your review, despite admitting it made you uncomfortable to read at times. Almost sounds like an uber-dark version of Disney's Frozen, at least as the movie concerned Elsa. Frozen meets Carrie. Not precisely, just made me think of those, due to sharing the element of parents teaching a magical child to suppress her powers.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

This is surely my type of book. Im interested in finding out the details about Eve's dark past and her character too as she grows. I'm glad you described how the book made you felt. Your review is compelling and I appreciate it. Vampire stories are my favorite.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I’m not a big fan of stereotypical vampire books, but this one seems like it is so much more. I intended to only read a sample, but had to close chapter 8 to read the review!
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Thank you for the very detailed review! This book sounds like one I'll enjoy reading very much. I appreciate that you mentioned the dark, cringe-worthy aspects. While I enjoy dark novels I have to be in the appropriate mindset to really get into them. I will be waiting to read this until I am at that point. Again, thank you for the review!
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

a paranormal romances novel I love the clashing of vampires and witches I'm excited to read this book sounds like a promising story to add to my shelf. Eve sounds like she is in a precarious situation due to her parents and I'm eager to learn how she handles it with the help from a vampire
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

There must not be any errors in the book because the reviewer did not mention any. This book sounds right up my alley. I love sci-fi books. I’m definitely adding this to my reading list.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Great Post! Your review is definitely convincing, I don't like reading books about the dark-side, especially with vampires, I dream about them and sometimes have nightmares. But "The Devil's Fool" might be an exception. I am willing to give it a try because of my curiousity, I would like to know about the lives of family vampires, if they blood-thirst each other. And after reading this one, I might read the other two series.
Subwaygirl95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Subwaygirl95 »

This book sounds like a good read! The abuse scenes like the details make them feel very real, and I appreciate books that really take into the darkest depths with them. I also like that the quests for love and friendship in this book are intertwined with the fantasy of the characters being witches and vampires—it seems like it will add to the intensity of the story and elevate normally mundane human experiences. I’m definitely looking forward to cracking this book open!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. This one seems to be right up my alley. I want to see if she stays dark or not.
pebblestoyou
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by pebblestoyou »

I think this book is way too dark for me. There are some things I can read and not have a problem with but when the author describes how a rat was used, I just couldn't read any further. This is just my opinion, other people will enjoy this book due to the fantasy world of witches/vampires.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

An interesting book based on your review. But because i am not really fond of vampires even during the twilight series i am not immediately drawn by this book. But i amight give this a chance. Thank you for the helpful review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Dark fantasy isn't my go-to genre, and the mention of vampires and child abuse repulses me even more. I, however, will sample the book to get a feel for the depth of the power struggles.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Devil's Fool, by Rachel Mcclellan', gives a clear idea about the story of the book, which guides us while reading the book! The review reflects upon the theme of the story and does not miss any important point, related to the book!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This isn't really my type of book. I don't enjoy reading about witches and vampires as well as torment from parents. I'm afraid the plot's just too dark for my taste. Yet, I'll sample it for a final decision. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Gajendra1987
Currently Reading: From drift to shift
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gajendra1987.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Gajendra1987 »

Excellent review, this surely excites me to set time aside and read this popular novel. cant really wait ... Thanks again for posting such a nice and well covered review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”