Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by Clinical1 »

Vampires witches and creatures with special powers are great fantasy. This one appears to have some great relationships and storylines with it as well.
jedreid
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by jedreid »

that's a great review! witches and vampires did it for me (a big fan here🙋) and though the abuse part put me off a little, i want to know how it plays a part on the Eve's character.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

"Power-hungry and backstabbing witches and vampires," got me interested in the story. This sounds like a thrilling dark fantasy.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Bookreaper23
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreaper23.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bookreaper23 »

Every good book needs a little bit of romance and a surrounding piece of life and death, and I strongly believe this book is my next conquest. The storyline is absolutely amazing and I'm a vampire lover so I will totally enjoy this dazzling book.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Thanks for your review. I read the first few chapters but had already decided that it was too dark for me before I read your review. I agree with you that the writing is fairly well done, despite not being my style. But reading your review gave me a higher opinion of the story itself. I was finding it very disturbing that Boaz was being set up to be her savior, while also being described as a predator, and using magic to caress her against her will whenever she was in sight--sounded more like magical sexual assault. Your review sounded like she discovers that isn't love. I have no desire to wade through all the graphic scenes to get to the resolution, but I do hope Eve finds her kind side again.
Oreille2
Favorite Book: Women Who Run With the Wild
Currently Reading: Jonathan Swift: The Irish Identity
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Oreille2 »

Interesting. I love fantasy as a genre but it's been a while since I've read a good book where the world building centres around vampires and witches. It sounds like it's not a million miles away from the Shadowhunter series - although much darker. I've downloaded it for my kindle so I'll have to see how I get on with the more graphic passages relating to Eve's abuse.

I'm also curious to see for myself how McClellan handles the temporal challenges of showing Eve's development. Based on the review It sounds like the book may be a little like a pilot episode of a series where there's pressure to set up the world and the characters as quickly as possible.

Looking forward to it! :techie-studyingbrown:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! You did a good job of explaining the conflicting emotions Eve felt. I would have also been a little disturbed by the graphic torture scenes.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like a great read for those that are into vampires, witches and all things dark. The complexity of Eve’s character gives it a depth that is often missing in these kind of stories.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I've already read five chapters and I'm hooked. Eve is very relatable and I'm interested to see how she changes with the passage of time.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas
Currently Reading: Not Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinwale-taiwo-ilyas.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas »

Thanks for the review. This book 's about vampire and witches, love, friendship, loyalty and trust. I love the book genre and I'll hopefully give it a read.
"The reading of all good books📚 is like a conversation with the finest men of past centuries" - Rene Decartes (1596 - 1681)
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
LaceyFisk
Currently Reading: The Rules of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laceyfisk.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by LaceyFisk »

I’ve been looking for an exciting fiction to read and I think this may fit the bill! Your review seems pretty raw and honest, so I’m a little nervous that it may be more graphic than I’d like, but I’m definitely going to give this one a try in my spare time. Thanks!
lionmoon_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lionmoon-3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lionmoon_3 »

The Devil's Fool
Right from the start, we are taken in: "I am the storm." That sets the mood and tenor of the story. Our young heroine is caught up in resistance to her parents and her own resistance to use magic and her inherited powers. It's an emotional, frightening and romantic tale, not for the faint of heart.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This certainly does sound very dark, what with all the scenes of torture and Eve's experiences of her own darkness as a rough adulthood follows from a tough childhood. Not sure I'd fancy some of the graphic scenes, having read the sample, but it's good that her character develops.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed reading it. The book sounds attractive and dark, some parts of the book could be a little darker than I expected, family abuse is not something I want to read right now, but It will be in my list for future reading.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Eve hates her vindictive, wicked parents and refuses to use her magical powers so as not to become like them. Can she continue to deny her true nature?

This book will captivate Twilight fans. Will it succeed with me, too? Hsimone was obviously smitten. As it's free, I'll give it a chance to bewitch me.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”