Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Very interesting review. I'm not much into fantasy but I like the "dark" description. Thank you!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I've always liked abusive parents as a backstory for the strength of a character. With the magic and the vampires, much of the story seems right up my alley!

Thanks for the great review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was very well-written and extremely helpful! Thank you! Although the themes do sound interesting, I'm afraid today's #BOTD is not the one for me, as I really don't prefer the fantasy genre. I have downloaded my free copy, though, in case I get the urge to find out what life is like on "the other side!" Again, thank you for your review, and I look forward to reading more of them soon. :-)
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It really gave me a good overview of the book. All of the abuse and graphic scenes are too dark for me though....
peace starts with a smile...
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I definitely would add fantasy to the genre list for this one. It seems a few of us agree on that point.

I have to admit that I wasn't too sure about this one when I first started reading. Too much blood, gore and torture are hard for me. Right when it got to the point where I was feeling that maybe I would have to pass...it was finished. The story continued on.

I found myself enjoying the character development. Yes, there were a couple more scenes that made me cringe, but they didn't last long, and were vital to the storyline.

Eve does seem to be fairly innocent in the beginning. I only read the sample so I haven't yet seen her find her dark side. Thank you for sharing that in your review.

I was a little on the fence about this one, but now I'd find out how Eve handles all the changes and what happens between her and Boaz

Your review was the game changer. Thank you.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Any book that has graphic scenes about abuse I tend to avoid. If it wasn't for that, I would probably have read this. Now, not so much
Phermone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phermone.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Phermone »

Oh, this sounds like quite a dark read although I am used to more pleasant to read books I know that books that make you cringe as you read it have their own form of enjoyment. Thanks for the transparent review it clearly defined what to expect and I think I just might take the plunge now.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Even children of Vampires are tortured! To endure what she did from her parents was amazing and when you try to keep someone from using something that's a part of them, you make them want to use it more. You did a really nice review but I'm not interested in reading this book.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

A book about dark magic, witches and vampires looks interesting. A perfect 4/4 rating on OBC and 375 ratings on Amazon is awesome. Thanks for the amazing review.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

My overall impression of this book was dark. One particular way was the abuse that Eve endured from her parents, Erik and Sable. Eve's parents are convinced that their daughter has extreme magical powers and her refusal to use them brings her parents into a sort of rage. They would throw their only child into a torture room of sorts. The scenes depicted in this room were described so graphically, my skin crawled and I admit in cringing a bit, especially when a starving rat was used. Another way this book was dark were the scenes that showed Eve's darkness. These scenes, that include harming others, were full of evil and hatred that the reader wonders if Eve will be able to break through her darker side.
This makes me wonder if Eve’s power and her darker side were strengthened by her parents’ torture. This would be, in a way, a connection to our world in which some of the strongest people have been through the most difficult experiences!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I love fantasy and the dark elements don’t turn me away so easily, but I tend to enjoy it more when a story like that ends on a happy note. I’ll have to see about this one.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I really like that Eve undergoes a lot of character development throughout this book. It makes her more interesting and relatable. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jennibabe31 »

I like a good dark fantasy book. Eve's parents torture her for not using the magic they believe she possesses. I love the concept. I have never read anything along these lines. I'm intrigued.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

This book almost seems like a character dissection of Eve, as she learns to make peace with her magic, and I love it! Thanks for the comprehensive review, I'm looking forward to reading this one.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thanks for the review. Despite the characterization work that you mention and the overall dark tone, these stories of fantasy and vampires that revolve around teenagers are not my thing. I feel like I can not read anything else of this genre anymore.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”