Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The devil's fool" by Rachel McClellan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the fantasy novel, The Devil's Fool (Devil Series Book 1) by Rachel McClellan, the reader is introduced to a magical world full of power-hungry and backstabbing witches and vampires. The one thing that will be most challenging to find in this novel is love and true friendship.

Unwilling to utilize magic, Eve's malicious and power-driven parents use any form of torture to crack her. After years of torment and abuse, she meets the powerful and attractive vampire, Boaz. This young girl falls into Boaz's open arms in hopes of finding the love and care she never received as a child. However, as time progresses, Eve's internal darkness, that she's been so fearful of, surfaces. She now finds joy and pleasure from the darkness within and is convinced this is the way to live. As she continues on this path, it leaves the reader questioning, will she be able to find her sweet and innocent side again?

The author's character development and plot descriptions are impeccable. I felt I was right there with Eve throughout all her sorrows and troubling times. Her feelings were relatable to those who have had a rough childhood that leads to a tough adulthood, and is trying to find salvation. Every scene in McClellan's world was very accessible and I was never left bored. Themes of love, friendship, trust, and loyalty are all woven into this fantasy world.

My overall impression of this book was dark. One particular way was the abuse that Eve endured from her parents, Erik and Sable. Eve's parents are convinced that their daughter has extreme magical powers and her refusal to use them brings her parents into a sort of rage. They would throw their only child into a torture room of sorts. The scenes depicted in this room were described so graphically, my skin crawled and I admit in cringing a bit, especially when a starving rat was used. Another way this book was dark were the scenes that showed Eve's darkness. These scenes, that include harming others, were full of evil and hatred that the reader wonders if Eve will be able to break through her darker side.

Throughout this read, there were many changes that occurred. For instance, weeks, then months, and even years passed by to show Eve's growth overtime. However, I can see how this quick passage of time can be troubling to some readers. Being the first book in a three-part series, the reader also gathers much information about this new world. However, there was a point in the book when I questioned if it was too much information.

Even with all the changes and amount of plot content, I happily give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The graphic scenes, I feel, added to Eve's confusion of who she was, and the progression of time was an aspect I enjoyed. I recommend this read for those who enjoy dark fantasy books that show growth of its main character.

The devil's fool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

This is a fantasy? It is categorizes as C/T/M/H. Anyway, it sounds like a neat book. Who can resist power-hungry witches and vampires?! I like deftly sketched dark fantasy books that show growth of characters. The abuse scenes wary me, but I will give it a try. Thank you for the great review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Huh...I guess I just thought of it as fantasy, but your right it definitely has C/T/M/H elements in there :eusa-think: Thank you for letting me know! And thank you for your kind words! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Huh...I guess I just thought of it as fantasy, but your right it definitely has C/T/M/H elements in there :eusa-think: Thank you for letting me know! And thank you for your kind words! :)
Actually it does sound more like a fantasy/paranormal due to the vampire aspect. I was just wondering.
You're most welcome. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:Huh...I guess I just thought of it as fantasy, but your right it definitely has C/T/M/H elements in there :eusa-think: Thank you for letting me know! And thank you for your kind words! :)
Actually it does sound more like a fantasy/paranormal due to the vampire aspect. I was just wondering.
You're most welcome. :)
I think that's where my mind went...vampires, witches, and magical powers. It is a pretty intense read too, though. You got to love overlapping genres! :D
Heidi

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Excellent Review

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I have been looking for a "dark" read. This sounds like it fits the bill. I am impressed that the author was able to make such an authentic transition from childhood abuse to an adult living with the repercussions.

-- Fri May 20, 2016 9:40 pm --

Now it is mine!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Vermont Reviews wrote:Excellent Review

Vermont Reviews
Thank you, Vermont Reviews! :)

-- 21 May 2016, 07:35 --
bluemel4 wrote:Fantastic review! I have been looking for a "dark" read. This sounds like it fits the bill. I am impressed that the author was able to make such an authentic transition from childhood abuse to an adult living with the repercussions.

-- Fri May 20, 2016 9:40 pm --

Now it is mine!
Thank you, bluemel4! It was pretty neat seeing what the author did here. I could definitely see how her childhood affected her adulthood.

Did you get the book?
Heidi

Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

this book sounds fantastic! Your review is lovely and definitely makes me want to get this book right away! I will have to get this book within the next week I have been searching for a good dark book to read and this sounds right up my alley
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Swiftmover07! It was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Let me know what you think if/when you do get to read it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Power hungry and backstabbing - sounds like a typical office. :lol2: :lol2: I agree with Gali...it sounds like a fantasy. I guess the author sees the book as fitting better into the Mystery/Thriller genre.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie! :lol2: :lol2: Typical office! That's a clever way to look at it! Yes, I thought the same. I even think Amazon has it under fantasy..or well 'dark fantasy'. There were definite elements of suspense, but I think my brain went to fantasy because of the vampires and witches.
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! :lol2: :lol2: Typical office! That's a clever way to look at it! Yes, I thought the same. I even think Amazon has it under fantasy..or well 'dark fantasy'. There were definite elements of suspense, but I think my brain went to fantasy because of the vampires and witches.
I think your brain is on the right track since vampires and witches screams fantasy to me. I wonder if the book would attract more readers if categorized in the Fantasy genre.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! :lol2: :lol2: Typical office! That's a clever way to look at it! Yes, I thought the same. I even think Amazon has it under fantasy..or well 'dark fantasy'. There were definite elements of suspense, but I think my brain went to fantasy because of the vampires and witches.
I think your brain is on the right track since vampires and witches screams fantasy to me. I wonder if the book would attract more readers if categorized in the Fantasy genre.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. That's a good point - the book might attract more attention if it was labeled as Fantasy.
Heidi

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

This sounds very interesting. However, I don't feel very comfortable reading about abuse especially inflicted by the parents on a child. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Rachel McClellan on such an obviously well-written book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”