Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: Official Review: The devil's fool by Rachel McClellan

Post by stedape »

Coven Murders is a crime novel that is the third in its series. I haven't read the previous installments, but I'm glad this can be read as a stand alone book. Congrats on BOTD.
arabmoney1978
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by arabmoney1978 »

It's a very interesting story and it really captures my interest. My major interest is the magical powers, having such powers and make no use of them is really a waste, here in my country it's a different thing everyone seems to be hungry for such powers for personal reasons whether good or evil. And for the author, it's a very good job.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

Amazing review. Having gotten a hint on the torture scenes I don't think I will try this book now but at the same time my curiosity is aroused so I will read it sometime.
Dolapo24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Dolapo24 »

This is a top notch fictional book, actually from the onset it may seems uninteresting but trust me it a lovely book about a young girl Eve whose parents were cruel towards her and everyone around them.
Her parents wanted her to take after their wicked ways and she has vow never to be like them or make you of her powers. Wow this book is addictive and unbelievably interesting.
Kithaka_k
Currently Reading: The Devil's Fool
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kithaka_k »

I'm excited to begin reading this book. I got it two days ago. I already like the cover, it's mysterious and draws me in, making me want to know what is inside. I anticipate a great read and I'm expecting to enjoy the entire series. Here we go!
TwistedHelix_1
Favorite Book: A Guide to the Good Life
Currently Reading: the neuroscience of intelligence
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twistedhelix-1.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TwistedHelix_1 »

I find this whole thread interesting.

I got this book as a book-of-the-day freebie because I really like dark fantasy. I tried to give The Devi'l Fool its day, so I pushed through to about 60%, but I just can't continue. I simply don't care about any of the characters.

In contrast to the official reviewer, I find the characterization and plot particularly poorly written. Since this is just a comment and not a review, I'll just give a quick example in support of my point. Eve, the protagonist, experiences horrific neglect and abuse from her parents, Sable and Erik, yet somehow, she emerges from her childhood a naïve and virtuous young woman. How?

She isn't allowed to see a movie, watch TV, read "nonapproved' books, play video games, use a computer (except occasionally, when her tutor, sometimes maid, is present), or go to school--but she still has an idea of morality that includes abhorrence of torture and cruelty. This simply does not ring true.

Eve's personality begins this way. Then, throughout the 60% I read, swings wildly around without ever being adequately explained. The plot is things just, sort of, happening since inadequate personality and goals can't really drive anything. I have to recommend people skip it.
tintinkie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tintinkie.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by tintinkie »

Hi,
I read the book and have to say that it is dark but does give readers something to think about. The emphasis on the dark makes the rest of the story so much more intriguing.
T
nadzcabs
Currently Reading: The Crimson Heirlooms
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by nadzcabs »

a very thrilling book to read. it's descriptions of the events that are happening are so vivid that you would think that you are also there at the same spot witnessing everything that is happening and it can send chills down your spine as the story unfolds. the opening of the story would captivate your imagination as to the dark and vile nature of some of the characters. it's a must read for those who like horror and thriller books as this book would keep you at the edge of your seat.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

The book definitely gives off Fantasy/Paranormal vibes. Impressed with how the character growth was accurately portrayed. Great job on the review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”