Official Review: End Matter by Ezekiel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: End Matter by Ezekiel

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "End Matter" by Ezekiel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if you had a secret that would be too incredible for any sensible person to believe? What if your secret was one that was filled with horror? Author Ezekiel dives into these questions with terrifying results in his C/T/M/H short novel, End Matter.

As widower Nathan Cartwright is getting older, he realizes there isn't much he can leave behind for his goodhearted son, Danny, and sweet granddaughter, Angel. Being a beekeeper, Danny finds himself struggling for money to provide for him and his daughter. Because of these two reasons, Nathan unwillingly decides to return to a previous talent of his. He has decided to write novels again. When he was younger, he quickly found out that writing dramas didn't sell, but his talent in thrillers did. However, when entering back into writing thrillers, there are some truths that come out. Truths that should be kept well hidden.

When people say it's quality, not quantity that makes a good story, Ezekiel is the perfect example to use. The characters were as developed as they could be being a short thirty-two page book (according to my Kindle). There were enough characters to make the story intriguing, but not too much to overload the mind in a short period of time. My favorite character is the granddaughter, Angel, because of her sweetness and genuine innocence.

The author continues his talent by not only developing some unique characters, but by creating an intense plot. Right from the beginning, I was hooked and was able to effortlessly read this in one quick session. The writing flows well from one scene to the next and is easy to read. Themes of family, love, and not thinking things through are filled in these pages.

The mystery aspect of this book was also well done. As a reader, I am left with some unanswered questions, but wonder if the author's next book, The Cartwright Catalog would provide an explanation. I will refrain from listing these questions here since they would render spoiling some of the novel. Overall, this book was utterly flawless.

I happily rate End Matter a 4 out of 4 stars. With its suspenseful and unique plot, I fully enjoyed every minute of the book. I would highly recommend this read to those who enjoy books in the C/T/M/H genre, and even to those who aren't sure if they like this genre. The author gives you enough to make your heart beat a little bit faster, but not enough to hear bumps in the night.

End Matter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds unique indeed. Thank you for the well-written review. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

Congratulations to the author on the great review. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a thorough review. I enjoy short stories, so maybe I'll give this a try!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

Thank you so much for the review! The next work(s) will definitely answer any lingering questions, along with having a few more twists and surprises.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! This sounds like a very interesting read and it's neat to know the author is following up with another.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:Sounds unique indeed. Thank you for the well-written review. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

Congratulations to the author on the great review. :tiphat:
Thank you, gali! It really was unique. Definitely congratulations to the author! :)

-- 21 Apr 2016, 23:59 --
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a thorough review. I enjoy short stories, so maybe I'll give this a try!
Thank you, PashaRu! If you do get a chance to read it, I hope you enjoy it too! :)

-- 22 Apr 2016, 00:00 --
Ezekiel Azazel wrote:Thank you so much for the review! The next work(s) will definitely answer any lingering questions, along with having a few more twists and surprises.
You're welcome! Thank you for commenting and writing a really interesting book. That's also great to hear that the next one will answer lingering questions! :)

-- 22 Apr 2016, 00:01 --
Shelle wrote:Great review! This sounds like a very interesting read and it's neat to know the author is following up with another.
Thank you, Shelle! It really was, and I'm also glad that the author is following up with another book. Can't wait to get my questions answered!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What a great review for what looks like an interesting short story! Congrats to the author on receiving a glowing review and good luck with the sequel.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie! Interesting is definitely the right word. It's actually one of the most recent books that my husband was into discussing with me. Usually, he just says 'oh, that's interesting', but this one he wanted to talk more about it. I thought that was pretty positive! ;) Can't wait for the sequel for this book! I need to have some of these questions answered.
Heidi

bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Really great review! This short story sounds like an amazing read.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bluemel4! I appreciate you reading and commenting. It was pretty amazing! :)
Heidi

Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I might actually have to read this. I'm usually not much into C/T/M/H novels as I don't like to be scared (same reason I don't like roller coasters!), but if this one isn't too bad... It's always so hard to tell from the description exactly how scary a novel is going to be.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kia wrote:I might actually have to read this. I'm usually not much into C/T/M/H novels as I don't like to be scared (same reason I don't like roller coasters!), but if this one isn't too bad... It's always so hard to tell from the description exactly how scary a novel is going to be.
Yes, I completely agree. I'm bit of a scaredy-cat, but this wasn't bad at all. It's also so quick, so there aren't as many details as a full length novel would have, which in turn, I feel, makes it less scary. If you do give it try, let me know your thoughts!
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! Interesting is definitely the right word. It's actually one of the most recent books that my husband was into discussing with me. Usually, he just says 'oh, that's interesting', but this one he wanted to talk more about it. I thought that was pretty positive! ;) Can't wait for the sequel for this book! I need to have some of these questions answered.
You could start a dinner book club with your hubby. No need to schedule an exact time for the book club meetings....you can just discuss the books while eating dinner. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you, bookowlie! Interesting is definitely the right word. It's actually one of the most recent books that my husband was into discussing with me. Usually, he just says 'oh, that's interesting', but this one he wanted to talk more about it. I thought that was pretty positive! ;) Can't wait for the sequel for this book! I need to have some of these questions answered.
You could start a dinner book club with your hubby. No need to schedule an exact time for the book club meetings....you can just discuss the books while eating dinner. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
:lol2: I'll see what he says! Although, I'm pretty it was also just last night he said that I talk about books a lot :eusa-think: :lol2:
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

When I start talking too much about a book I read, my husband says "more than I wanted to know." :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”