Official Review: The Undocumented Struggle by Khali Raymond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Official Review: The Undocumented Struggle by Khali Raymond

Post by easy_dc13 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Undocumented Struggle" by Khali Raymond.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Undocumented Struggle by Khali Raymond is a book in the thriller/suspense genre. A tale of school, love, and drugs. It covers the, you guessed it, undocumented struggle of one Tyrone Steele.

All Tyrone ever wanted was to succeed. Unfortunately, his life has been anything but successful. He’s been called stupid, reckless, and just about any other name in the book. Living in the ghetto has definitely helped, not. But it’s not like he chose to be this way, as he has always expressed a desire to make something out of himself. Determined to succeed where his other family members have failed, Tyrone decides to transfer to Riverside High School, one of the best schools in Georgia. With a clean slate and a determination to turn his life around, the last year of high school will look like everything Tyrone’s ever wanted.

Of course, Tyrone’s not going to have it as easy as he thought. Local drug dealer, Slaya, ropes him in on the business for beating up two of his siblings. It’s do or die as Tyrone finds out the hard way. Just as things were starting to pick up at school, he has to do favors on the other hand to keep his skull from meeting some lead. But he can’t just keep it to himself, for his friends will jump in to keep his wheels rolling and avoid disaster.

I have to say that this was an enjoyable read. I found the protagonist to be very relatable and the plot was simple enough to follow. The story is a case of less is more, and it works well enough here. Although, I think that the number of pages limited the development of the characters in this story. For instance, Tyrone’s friends mostly show up in one particular location during the story for the express purpose of talking about school and life. Tyrone’s experience in school was limited to just him introducing himself to teachers, then fast-forwards to his graduation. If the book had a hundred or more pages, then any underdeveloped aspect would be set in the ground much better.

With that being said, the book was fun. It didn’t need to overcomplicate matters to tell a story. A limited number of pages and a few errors here and there did not hinder this from being a good read. A relatable protagonist, good pacing, and a drug-dealing element make up a nice story that could turn into a franchise with enough development and polish. I give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

The Undocumented Struggle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like easy_dc13's review? Post a comment saying so!

khaliofficial
Favorite Author: Me of course
Bookshelf Size: 0
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by khaliofficial »

Thank you for the honest review. The one I sent was an old edition. Changes for these errors have long been fixed.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”