Official Review: Junior Inquisitor by Lincoln Farish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Junior Inquisitor by Lincoln Farish

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Junior Inquisitor" by Lincoln Farish.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Junior Inquisitor is the first book in the Inquisitor Series by Lincoln S. Farish.

Told in the first person perspective, the story was about Brother Sebastian, a Junior Inquisitor in his first solo mission. On his way to Vermont to follow up a lead to the murder of his wife, Brother Sebastian received a phone call from his mentor. He was ordered to investigate the disappearance of the field Inquisitor in Providence, Rhode Island. Bound by duty, Brother Sebastian abandoned his personal quest and obeyed, though reluctantly.

Instead of finding the missing Inquisitor, he was attacked by a trio of Muscle then chased by a pack of werewolves. He took refuge in the nearest church of Saint Bernard and met Father Arnold who took him in and patched him up.

In addition to the interesting plot, the story was fast-paced and action-packed. The scenes were vividly described it felt more like watching a movie instead of reading a book. The backdrop was convincingly creepy and the encounters with the creatures of the dark were depicted in full details, gore and all.

The author seems to have a vast knowledge of the subject matter as he introduced various creatures besides the widely known witches, werewolves and ogres. Among those which were not familiar to me were: the Muscle, the foot soldiers of witches; Hogaana Doll, a Raggedy Anne style doll that housed a soul called from hell and Screwface, a witch who thrived on pain. Though the Jotunn, a Norse giant, was not so common, this was not unfamiliar (thanks to the movie Thor). There were also articles like Goofer dust, Congo Savanne and Grimoire which caught my attention.

My favorite character among the cast of lovable characters was Father Arnold, the cordial and helpful priest of Saint Bernard who loves to cook, followed by Brother Lorenzo, the attentive and patient apprentice Inquisitor who stood by and watched over Brother Sebastian while he was in recovery. Brother Sebastian was my kind of protagonist, strong-willed and duty-bound though a little stubborn. He was merciful and compassionate. His love for his wife was the kind that every woman would want from a husband.

The only problem I encountered with the book was the insufficient elaboration. Personally, I did not know what an Inquisitor was. I was almost halfway through the book when I realized I had to figure it out by myself, which I eventually did. Other readers may appreciate that but I was probably used to long narratives and backstories. Still, it did not make me enjoy the book less than I actually did.

In view of that, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who enjoy mystery, suspense, thriller and dark urban fantasy in general. For a book in a series, this can be a standalone.

Junior Inquisitor
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mariami
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariami.html
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance

Post by Mariami »

Hey, great job on the review! This novel sounds exciting, I would love to get my hands on it!
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mariami wrote:Hey, great job on the review! This novel sounds exciting, I would love to get my hands on it!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book immensely. I hope others will, too.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: The Vanishing Half
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Where's Hare's Tooth? by Lois Solverud
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0
2023 Reading Goal: 25
2023 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! The cover alone is creepy enough! ;) I love the mixture of genre in this read - fantasy, thriller, and mystery. This seems like a read to keep you on your toes! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Global Moderator

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review, kimmyschemy06! The cover alone is creepy enough! ;)
Thank you very much hsimone. Oh yeah, it really is creepy :)
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Awesome review! The book sounds amazing :)
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Very good review! Detailed enough to make me want to read, but leaves enough information out to make me curious and intrigued!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Swiftmover07 wrote:Awesome review! The book sounds amazing :)
Thank you very much. It is an amazing book.

-- 09 Apr 2016, 19:50 --
Booky_BettyC wrote:Very good review! Detailed enough to make me want to read, but leaves enough information out to make me curious and intrigued!
Thank you. I hope you get the chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did.
Jonathanlee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathanlee »

Cool. I like your long and detailed review of the Inquisitor. Your are also disarmingly frank. So er... what is the inquisitor? Is it the same as the middle ages church inquisitor?
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jonathanlee wrote:Cool. I like your long and detailed review of the Inquisitor. Your are also disarmingly frank. So er... what is the inquisitor? Is it the same as the middle ages church inquisitor?
Thank you very much for your comment. I don't think so. The church inquisitors in the middle ages were those who hunted down and punished those who contradicted the church. Inquisitors, in this story, are brethren of the church who handle and eliminate armies of darkness like witches, werewolves, ogres and other types of monsters.
Jonathanlee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathanlee »

Hmm.. like the witch hunter in Red Riding Hood's movie last year. Thanks for the clarification.
gali
Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Unraveller
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also love a mixture of genres and this book sounds intriguing! Too bad about the insufficient elaboration though. Good job on the review!
Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review :) The not well-known creatures sounds interesting but too bad that there wasn't much elaboration. I myself, really appreciate back stories and explanations.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Brother Sebastian sounds like an entertaining character, and the incidents that you summarized sound intriguing. I look forward to learning more about him and Father Arnold. Oh, and, of course, about the werewolves. :D

Who was your least favorite character?
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
uk8971
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by uk8971 »

As mentioned in the review, this seems to be a truly standalone book in a series. The ratings say how well the Suspense, The mystery, the suspense is woven in the dark Urban Fantasy. Well deserved BOTD I must say. :)
Congrats!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”