Official Review: The Children of Cain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ValtearTheShadebane
2017 Reading Goal: 27
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valteartheshadebane.html
Latest Review: "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero

Official Review: The Children of Cain

Post by ValtearTheShadebane » 15 Mar 2016, 21:31

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Children of Cain" by David R. Bishop & J. Scott Cordero.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Children of Cain: House of Dvanaesti, by David R. Bishop and J. Scott Cordero, is a supernatural thriller that explores the power and pervasiveness of evil in our society and the tenacity of humans to overcome it. Successful political dirt-digger Gabriel Hawthorne knows that every politician has some secret that can be exposed. But his latest target, the charismatic governor of Florida, seems to have it all together. After digging a little further however, he finds that the governor has sinister connections, the implications of which are more terrifying than he ever imagined.

As the story unfolds, Gabriel walks right into a centuries-long battle between vampires and the humans who now have the technology to defeat them. When Gabriel discovers how entrenched the evil creatures are in politics, he must decide whether he will join forces with the secret society to wage war on the vampires or take matters into his own hands.

My first impression of this book was that it would be along the same lines as the Left Behind series, by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, featuring a supreme world ruler and end-time events that readers can follow along with in the Bible. I was happy that it did not follow that formula because it is refreshing to see authors show other ways evil leaders climb their way into power. Some readers will no doubt enjoy the “conspiracy theorist” fervor the book has, but for me it seemed a little incredible. Also, there were numerous spelling errors throughout the novel and some pages looked like they were still in the editing process.

The authors kept the story moving rapidly with short chapters, witty dialogue, and descriptive action scenes. The story raises the possibility that humans, as a whole, are not the most intelligent and powerful species on the planet. Not only is the top species much more powerful, it is also malevolent. With all that Gabriel is up against, the reader can really admire his determination to do all he can to protect those he cares about.

This book features excellent storytelling that hooks readers from the start. The several characters in this book are kept distinct and memorable by the authors’ humorous descriptions. This is the type of vampire story that showcases their cunning and superhuman strength and speed, making it an enjoyable read for mature readers. Because it is a vampire story with lots of blood, some scenes may be a bit too graphic for younger readers to handle. The Children of Cain: House of Dvanaesti is a thrilling novel that highlights the effects of the supernatural on a topic as worldly as politics. Even with all of its charms, its many spelling errors are too distracting for me to shrug off. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Children of Cain
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like ValtearTheShadebane's review? Post a comment saying so!

kimmyschemy06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: The Witch’s Journey
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Simple Little Rule by Mike Ellerkamp

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 18 Mar 2016, 00:29

Sounds like a very interesting and action-packed book with memorable characters. Great job on the review.

bigirimanacelestin
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Bookshelf Size: 325
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimanacelestin.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bigirimanacelestin » 18 Mar 2016, 09:20

The story raises the possibility that humans, as a whole, are not the most intelligent and powerful species on the planet. Not only is the top species much more powerful, it is also malevolent.
Is it true?
Best book to be read.
Thanks for good review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

chytach18-
2017 Reading Goal: 24
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- » 18 Mar 2016, 11:44

I'm not a young reader and can hold my nerves but I don't like when it's too much blood pouring in a book or film. But I might like the conspiracy theory. Very interesting review, ValtearTheShadebane.

ValtearTheShadebane

Post by ValtearTheShadebane » 18 Mar 2016, 16:31

Thanks everyone! It's definitely an interesting book...I hope the authors consider writing another book to make a series. If so, I'd be among the first to read it!

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Great Alone
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Dim Star by George F. Kacenga
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 23 Mar 2016, 17:18

Great and insightful review, ValtearTheShadebane! This definitely sounds interesting and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Valerie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valerie » 31 Mar 2016, 15:43

I like the review. It's a great one, ValtearTheShadebane.

ValtearTheShadebane

Post by ValtearTheShadebane » 04 Apr 2016, 08:25

Thanks, Valerie! :-)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”