Review of The last ride of the old peacekeepers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of The last ride of the old peacekeepers

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The last ride of the old peacekeepers" by Bill matthews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Last Ride of the Old Peacekeepers by Bill Matthews provides an in-depth look into the author’s rollercoaster experience in his thirty years of being in law enforcement. In this memoir, the author details several events and momentary decisions left out of real-life incident reports. He recounts his engagements with all manner of people—the good, the bad, and the ugly—using a compilation of over a hundred stories and several descriptive pictures. It details life-threatening situations as well as comical ones that will leave you happy and confused. The stories shared enlightens readers on the extent to which police departments will go to salvage a case and the tireless effort it takes to keep everyone safe. The author continuously acknowledged his found brotherhood and how it saved him from himself at the lowest points of his life.

I love how the author does not give a watered-down version of the experience of law enforcement officials. He portrays them as regular people with fears, concerns, and real issues, which are even more delicate to handle as public figures. The additional elements of humour made the book more enjoyable. The pictures remind me of the real side of police officers, which is sometimes hidden in the uniform. I admired the author’s unflinching honesty and vulnerability. His willingness to share personal thoughts and emotions allowed me to connect with his experiences on a deep and personal level. Finally, I appreciate how this memoir provides valuable insight and a unique perspective on a topic that's rarely addressed, offering a thought-provoking reading experience.

The book wasn't professionally edited. It had several grammatical and spelling errors that slowed down the overall reading process. It revealed a lack of detail. However, it was a great read that delved into several important issues and told impactful stories.

Owing to the errors, I rate this book four out of five stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I hope a lot more people can take as much as I did from it.

This memoir is a must-read for anyone interested in gaining a nuanced understanding of law enforcement beyond what is presented by the media. It offers a gripping narrative that balances action-packed moments with thoughtful introspection, leaving readers with an appreciation of the human side of those who wear the badge.

The last ride of the old peacekeepers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

I'd probably read the book after another round of editing or two. I love to read about the experiences of the people in the law enforcement agencies. It is a miracle, as I'd like to say, that they survive long enough to share experiences big enough to be written as a book.
Cherry Rollings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherry-rollings.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Cherry Rollings »

I believe this book gave a clue into what is obtainable in Law Enforcement works. Great review by the way.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A book that offer insights about the life of a law enforcement agent helping people see what they are like is certainly interesting, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to avoid distractions for readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”