Official Review: VooDoo Souls by Ezekiel Azazel II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Re: Official Review: VooDoo Souls by Ezekiel Azazel II

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

The next book is coming along great, which will be called Book of Joel. The title would make more sense if you read VS, BUT, I am also aware not everyone will read both books. I'm taking careful steps to ensure you don't need to read both, as each are their own individual story. I've also made adjustments to the style of my narratives, dialogues, and art...I absolutely love how rich the roaring 20s was with the art, as it was everywhere. A quick Google search of "1920s magazine covers" offers just a small example, as even simple periodicals and street posters were created through an artists eyes. Chicago Transit Authority (not the 60s band) actually hired famous artists to promote public transportation. I'm also sticking with the Weird Tales/Lovecraft theme, and I'm doing VERY deep research into the Necronomicon. On top of having a bit in common with Lovecraft myself, I've actually been to the land where the Necronomicon spawned-Mesopotamia (Iraq), and even the cities of Ur and Babylon. There's a lot of books on voodoo, mysticism, and even ancient Egypt mythology, but I tapped into those along with Sumerian myths, which Necronomicon was influenced or even (if you believe it's a legitimate book) was derived from. Oddly enough it also has relevance to New Orleans, and based upon my research, I added very real events, people and facts. One can read Book of Joel and walk away with the possibility of it being based on a true story (if they believe in paranormal/spirituality). Just as I tied in Marie Laveau, Pere Anton, and the LaLaurie legends in VooDoo Souls, I did the same for book 2, adding Suleyman the Turk, and others.
I only started writing recently because of my failing health, and facing a possible layoff from my job. I didn't have much to start with except crazy ideas, and bad dreams from the war. My only regret is not picking up a pen years ago, as I absolutely love reading and writing. Thank you guys for such encouraging words, as it means the world to me. Also, if you're a reader wanting to turn author, I'd love to help out, especially to a fellow veteran, but I'll help any fellow author. I'm on Twitter (no Facebook) and I like this forum too. Thanks again-Ezekiel
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

@stoppoppingtheP

Very good review. The premise of the plot doesn't do it for me though. And the name of the author... I'll just let that thought linger.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Thanks.

Its really nice that you are starting another book. It seems like such a lot of reasearch! I am interested to know what legends about Suleyman the Turk you will be using. I have family from there and I think I would find the Ottoman history interesting.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Ezekiel Azazel

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

Leon-Please allow me to explain the pseudonym, and accept my apologies if it offends you. The first name "Ezekiel" (Zeke) was my nickname in the military. I also have other reason to include the name of the prophet, which my real (non pseudonym) last name is eerily connected.
Azazel-I understand the concern there, but I don't worship that thing or any things like it. I chose it for a few reasons...Along with good, I seen a lot of evil in me, and done things I'm not proud of. That name (if memory serves) is a "Jinn" (demon) in Islamic belief. I'm sure I've been called that before too, but, I also chose it for the theme of all my work-Good/evil, but told with an open mind to alternative beliefs and legends. I hope I didn't offend you, but if I did, again, please accept my apologies.
stoppoppingtheP-The legend I'm going by is this-Suleyman was a (supposed) Prince whom back in the 1800's, had a house on Dauphine Street where he ran a harem. He was a recluse character, and had two guards with two Turkish Scimitars (sound familiar? :-) standing watch at his front door. Neighbors said they would always smell incense, hookah tobacco, and would hear wild parties with women, and sometimes little boys. One day, a nosy neighbor took note that the guards were gone, and the front door was swinging in the breeze. Upon looking closer, they seen blood trickling down the galley, and body parts tossed about the inside of the house. Suleyman was buried alive in the courtyard of the house, with his hand raising from the earth when he tried to escape. He was also buried in traditional Muslim burial attire, leading me to believe his killers were knowledgeable of that faith. His killers, and the whole story remain a mystery. I tie my story into that legend.
I have another idea for a book about Ottomans, back in the days of Vlad Tepes (Dracula), but that's going to take a lot of research. Believe it or not, I can easily tie it in with VooDoo Souls, but I haven't decided yet.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I also wandered about your name, and thought it very strange, although I never commented on it before. It does have an allure to it though, and it suits your story.

I definitely remember the Turkish Scimitars :D and I look forward to your next book as it sounds intruiging.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I just thought the name sounded cool even though I knew the implications. Reading your thoughtful posts, you're obviously not someone using the name for nefarious reasons, so I just figured it was some other meaning or an aesthetic thing. That next piece just sounds great, I'm intrigued. I just read the Outhouse by David Gordon, and am currently reading The Old Man and The Harley by John J. Newkirk. Both are set in and around the Great Depression. It is such an interesting time period. Everything was artistic as you mentioned, and there was so much opportunity for evil, but people still hitchhiked and helped each other on the road. I love reading about simpler times (technologically simpler anyway).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Ezekiel Azazel

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

The author from your signature (escapeartist) was from that era...Hemingway, Fitzgerald etc were known as the "lost generation", basically a class of individuals including authors, artists and musicians that thrived from the end of WWI to the end of the great depression. Europeans called their counterpart the Generation of 1914, and Generation in Flames (France), much like we have Generation X, Millennials etc. today. I'm also finding the locations I'm writing about are polar opposites in some aspects, yet had a lot of influence on each other-Chicago/New Orleans for example with the many jazz musicians traveling between the two cities. Researching the "Paris of the West" (Detroit) is very intriguing yet downright frightening. Here's a city that was the envy of others in America at the time, yet in less than a century, it has fallen into the state of dilapidation that it is today. It makes me wonder if it can happen (or if it IS happening) on a larger scale. Much like VooDoo Souls, there are many parables to modern times, some hidden, some not. With the second book, I am not using bible scriptures, but if someone were to research the history of the news events/legends, they can walk away believing the book is based off of truth. Lovecraft denied the existence of the Necronomicon and stated it was all from his imagination, but if you look at the state of mind the world was in, he may have been too uncomfortable to claim that it did. He was also very skeptical of religion/cults, and didn't want to be viewed like Aleister Crowley, but reading his very early stuff, and looking at his odd upbringing and lifestyle, something sparked his obsession with it.
My pseudonym is also a parable-Veterans with bad dreams/flashbacks also call them their "demons". When I write about them, I see entities like Azazel, Cthulhu, and all of the trimmings that go with them. My anger and rage is also very real, but I put those thoughts on paper instead of acting out. When I read my work, I see how insane it all is and get a lesson about myself and mindset. With that said, I don't think I (or anyone) should walk away from the ending of VooDoo Souls with a smile or feeling of satisfaction...Who was the real winner? Other not so obvious parables-The Confederate flag mentioned a few times-Soiled/stained (tarnished), with one side viewing it the proper way (symbol of Southern Pride), and then others using it for intimidation and hate. Those individuals (Confederate Buzzards) also named their cartoon mascot in his red/white (Nation of Islam flag colors) shirt "Barry", a shot at certain groups who draw cartoons or make fun of President Obama, but overall, the story and parables don't vilify any organization more than the other. In closing, I don't chose one political party over the other, but as a war veteran, some of the things being said by our future candidates upset me beyond anything imaginable, and go against what I stand for.
I'll be working on Book of Joel the next few days, and it should be done within a month. The date of release that I'm aiming for-2/14/16, in "honor" of the St. Valentines Massacre. Have a happy holiday, and I hope you guys have a great New Year. I'll be doing what I love-Writing and researching, and I hope you find the times pleasurable too.-Ezekiel
Levi

Post by Levi »

Ezekiel, ha ha funny you should mention those authors, I also just finished The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald this last week. The era is definitely intriguing. If you haven't read The Old Man and the Harley, I highly recommend it. I appreciate your insight, and your service. I have many friends who know exactly what you go through and I see them experience it. I'm glad you have writing as an outlet. I'll be following your writing and look forward to seeing your growth.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Ezekiel Azazel

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

Thanks Escapeartist, that book actually looks pretty good. I read most of Sonny Barger's stuff, and can recommend Ridin' High Living Free, which is mostly motorcycle and highway fables. His other works as you probably know are all about Hells Angels and their structure. I also read Hunter Thompson's book about the Hells Angels, which gives a completely different perspective and outcome to the story. I actually read Hunter's book first and walked away slightly confused by the strange ending, but after reading Sonny's version, I was crystal clear on what went down. I can also recommend many other great books on motorcycles and club structure, from both sides of the law, as it's good to make your own opinion more accurate hearing all views. I also read up on modern clubs for the sanest reason of all-to NOT get in any trouble with them. That's why I made the structure of the Confederate Buzzards the way I did, which if you look close is an obvious parable. It was a silly swipe that I took at the way they (government overall) have been operating lately...Like a bunch of filthy vultures. As far as their fate, there's a very deep parable and one I certainly fear.
One book that I can recommend over all of them is Wild Ones, Tales of the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club by Bill Hayes. It explained the days of the very early clubs that were far less nefarious, and the members were blue collar guys by day. There was no need for that full commitment, or that constant trepidation over your head. I loved my time in the Marines, but I guess some of my brothers still want and need that feeling of commitment and nomadic lifestyle. I can certainly understand it, and even appreciate it, but I prefer to not swear allegiance to just one color.
I like stories set in the past too, and if you're into Americana, roadside oddities, ghost stories/legends, there's a series of books out called Weird US, by Mark Moran and Mark Sceurman. I was in contact with Moran a few years back and was going to help him with a story about a former place that I worked for, which was interesting to say the least. Marines didn't pay enough to support my muscle car habit, so I worked a security gig on weekends and evenings. One of those posts was this place called Questhaven that no one wanted to work. When my former boss explained it to me, and said it would even pay extra, I was all over it. Google "Questhaven Asylum/Haunted" to see what I mean. I never got back to Moran, because the people there give me the creeps. They are Christian based, but mess with reincarnation/séances and things they shouldn't meddle in. They're also literally down the street from the former Heavens Gate cult, which killed themselves in a mass suicide in the 90s. No need to read anything by Koontz or King on that post, as I had a front row seat to horror and mystery.
Anyway...I'm rambling now. Interesting books, and I think they have one for every state by now. I like them because it gives me a guide as to what I live around. I do that with every place I move, as I'm intrigued and sometimes horrified at what I find. Also, thank you for reading all of this. I love to write, and I'd honestly do it for free. I evade social media and the bad grammar (habits) that come with it in order to practice. I'm also not close to many people, not even my own family whom I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. They'll always see me as the demon I used to be-another reason why I chose my pseudonym :-)
Levi

Post by Levi »

I've read Barger's along with many others. I prefer ones that talk about the early days of clubs before all the excess rules and things or just riding in general, like the Old Man book and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I don't blame you for studying to keep from offending, it can be a sensitive subject due to the passion they have for the lifestyle. Me, I just love to ride like I love to read. Thought about painting Nimbus 2000 on my tank as a nod to Harry Potter, and as if to say, "just relax and enjoy the ride!" Ha
That's an interesting story you have there, and I don't blame you for keeping from people. I keep from most, but my family. I'm starting Voodoo Souls so I'll let you know what I think.
Ezekiel Azazel

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

Definitely do! I'm open to any criticism, good or bad. VooDoo Souls was written in a style that mimics rummaging through your parents/grandparents attic (like I used to). It's got strange art/collages typical of the late 60s, at least that's what I aimed it to be. Looking back now that I'm nearing the end of my next work, VS is perfect for what I'm going for, and I wouldn't change a thing. The one I'm working on now is structured a lot different, no bible verses (obvious ones anyway :-), and the art, location and time frame are completely unique. I was happy with VS, and I feel REALLY good about the second book. I've also realized with VS, the work I'm completing soon, and then the final installation can all be read stand alone, or as a series. Book 2 is also a little less dark, as VooDoo Souls was crafted with the blues in mind, so it will have a different mood- Jazzy/art deco, but still have that pulp fiction magazine feel that you'd get from reading Weird Tales or HP Lovecraft's work.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

What a wonderful review. You did a great job at presenting the book. This sounds like a book that I could possibly read. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Mysteries, thrillers, magic- any piece of writing which takes a mystifying turn of events is a must read for me. Adding this to my TBR piles. Thanks for the amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like a great quick read. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”