Review of The Awakening

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of The Awakening

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Awakening" by Deanna R. Sweeney.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Awakening by Deanna R Sweeney is a book that grips you from the first page and holds you in perfect paranormal suspense.

Deanna, in her book, depicts the strange life of Veronica Strange, who has had a tough life because of her abilities. Veronica, who has accepted her life and managed to keep it simple, private, and small because of how different she is from other humans, does not know that she is more than her abilities, and there is a bigger picture to it. One strange event leads to another, and Veronica is stuck in oblivion in the middle of it all. War is coming, and Veronica is clueless. Will the war swallow her up due to her oblivion, or will she prevail?

Deanna created a masterpiece with this book. It was everything I hoped it would be. From the alluring cover to the last page of the book, she didn’t disappoint. I loved everything about the book. I loved the build-up of the main character; I also appreciated the way the book started, promising the readers a thrilling read, and I loved that the writer didn’t disappoint. I loved the suspense and the way the writer made me have my fingers crossed. I was literally praying for Veronica. I also appreciated the way the writer explained every detail, myth, and legend in detail, making her readers understand the book fully and leaving no room for confused thoughts and misunderstanding in the book. The action scenes were also very detailed, painting a very vivid picture in my head of what was going on in the book. Most of all, I loved that the protagonist was female, depicting a strong and fearless woman ready to face her fears and battles, ready to accept who she is, stand firm, and fight in the face of adversity. I also loved that the supporting characters were also female, displaying women supporting and being there for other women. A female heroine is something we don’t get to see a lot, as most heroes are usually of the opposite gender in books and even movies, which is why this book is a delight. It was an excellent read, more excellent with it having only a few errors.

I rate this book five out of five stars, as I believe it is perfect, top-notch, brilliant, and has a perfect plot twist. It also has very few errors which enables a free flow of reading that will surely be appreciated by anyone that reads the book. I did not find any negative aspect of the book; hence, I could not rate it any lower.

I recommend this book to lovers of myths, paranormal activities, thrillers, and suspense readers. This book will surely have them in its grip.

The Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I enjoyed reading your review. I thoroughly enjoy this genre and it sounds like a book worth reading. As you mentioned, a female protagonist is also a nice change and makes it that much more interesting for the reader. I look forward to reading it.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

It's wonderful to hear that Deanna's book was everything you hoped for and that it surpassed your expectations.
Without intending any harm, I think the paragraph on the positive aspects of the book is too long. It would have been better to have even divided it to make it short. Making it short encourages reading.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Kelly Tunstall wrote: 27 May 2023, 04:01 As you mentioned, a female protagonist is also a nice change and makes it that much more interesting for the reader.
Having a superwoman story is unique. It calls for courageous actions from both men and women.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A supernatural thriller that includes some mythological elements seems intriguing, so I'm curious to see how Veronica will face the coming war. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”