Official Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jfrankel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jfrankel »

Hey! Didn't I just meet you over on Twitter, hsimone?
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

Well I am a huge zompoc fan, but this sounds like it's a very fun read. A different POV as this story is, is going to be a refreshing change. Thank you!!
jfrankel

Post by jfrankel »

:) The only real apocalypse here involves wedding disasters and identity theft! First world apocalypse?

-- 17 Jun 2016, 12:59 --
ALynnPowers wrote:All I need to read is the title and I'm dying already. No pun intended... zombies and such... I love zombies sooooo much!!!!!
You can ALWAYS make bad puns around me!
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

I am glad that there is some humor in this book, as some horror stuff is too much for me ;)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

I can't wait to read it!!!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I'm not a massive lover of horror books and trying to get into the genre. Might be a good place to start :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It is definitely one in which you can dip your toe into the gore so to speak. ;) Seriously, it is a great read whether you are a zombie fan or not! :D You just have to like redheads. 8)
bookowlie wrote:I already posted a comment when this review was published, but I want to congratulate the author on receiving a glowing review and being BOTD today!

Rssllue, it was worth reading your review again just for the phrase "mildly rotting zombie." I need to find a way to use your phrase in ordinary conversation - hahaha. Seriously, I am not a big fan of horror books (I get too scared), but I love humorous books and it seems like the horror is tempered with an injection of humor here.
Thanks very much! I am glad that the phrase has stood the test of time. ;) :lol2:

Also, humor is a big part of this story so I do not think you will be disappointed in any way by it. :D
hsimone wrote:Excellent review, rssllue! After reading it, I've become even more excited for this read! I don't typically like horror, but since there is both humor and non-goriness, then I will definitely be giving it a read.
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review and for being BOTD! :tiphat:
Thank you for the kind words, hsimone! :tiphat:

Also, thanks to everybody else who commented on the review. I really hope that you all enjoy the book, as Ms. Frankel did a really nice job with such a unique story! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Bookswagbag
Currently Reading: Undead Redhead

Post by Bookswagbag »

Sounds very good!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

No doubt. The author did a great job with this story. :handgestures-thumbsup:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
jfrankel

Post by jfrankel »

Rssllue, it was worth reading your review again just for the phrase "mildly rotting zombie." I need to find a way to use your phrase in ordinary conversation - hahaha. Seriously, I am not a big fan of horror books (I get too scared), but I love humorous books and it seems like the horror is tempered with an injection of humor here.
One of the biggest problems in turning it into a screenplay was worrying about just HOW rotting she should be, and how much would gross people out and lose their sympathy! It was originally conceived as a webseries, and the idea was that she would rot a little more each episode. . . :wink:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Great choice for BOTD 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

I am a HUGE fan of horror and while this book definitely fits that category it sounds like it has a few elements that will help keep it fresh and fun. Can't wait to read it! Thank you for your review of this book!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

jfrankel wrote:
One of the biggest problems in turning it into a screenplay was worrying about just HOW rotting she should be, and how much would gross people out and lose their sympathy! It was originally conceived as a webseries, and the idea was that she would rot a little more each episode. . . :wink:
That sounds perfect! Instead of worrying about applying foundation or concealer every morning, she would have to worry about literally "putting her face on" each day. :shock2: :lol:

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Terrific review! One point you made about describing characters...sometimes authors can go overboard with the over describing of every. single. character. That aspect of this book might be a plus for me. :)
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”