Official Review: Ordinary Handsome by Steven Baird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
miss_argyle
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-argyle.html
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird

Official Review: Ordinary Handsome by Steven Baird

Post by miss_argyle » 26 Sep 2015, 17:48

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ordinary Handsome by Stephen Baird literally opens with a bang. Who is Euart Monroe and what reason does he have for seeking deadly revenge on an old man slowly dying from cancer in a nursing home? The story follows multiple narrators as it flows back and forth through time tracking the tangled chain of how these two men are connected. This story is a mystery, but more of a thriller and not a procedural novel where a particular crime is solved.

The story is well written and would be enjoyed by anyone, especially those who are fans of noir style fiction. Baird does an outstanding job of describing the dead end town of Handsome, Oklahoma where much of the action takes place. You can feel the dusty grit of a town only populated by dirt-poor farmers, drunkards, and avaricious bankers. Much like the town, the characters find that they are only given limited options in life, and whether through accident or fate, often seem to choose the wrong path.

There are small opportunities for positive women characters in this book and they exist mostly to support the main story line of the feelings of helplessness that are central to the main characters. There is a strong theme of fathers and sons, again, using the relationships to reinforce the sense that our narrators are merely acting as fate would have them act, resigned to almost no free will.

I especially enjoyed Baird’s mastery of the noir style. On explaining the nursing home he says, “It’s a
place of low expectations and high cholesterol charts. The best you can hope for is a few wet faces at your funeral.” In describing one of the main locations of the story, he says, “Henry Wasson torched The Handsome’s kitchen one night. I guess that was the only way out of the financial cancer that was eating at him. Fat crescent flames blossomed from the fascia boards in minutes, hypnotic curlicues of carmine and creamy yellow.” Baird has a good command and descriptive imagery like this runs throughout the story.

The book is very well edited with no grammatical or spelling errors that jumped out at me as a reader. However, Baird does seem to have an odd way of not adding ‘am’ or ‘pm’ whenever he states what time it is. As this is a novel that jumps back and forth between numerous times, it was a distraction for me to figure out if it was morning or evening the characters were referring to.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think one of the strengths of the book is the mystery Baird creates over who is who and how he uses multiple moments in time to increase the suspense, but there are one or two places where I became confused over what was happening. This is a story that travels the minds of its narrators from the past to the present and to their dreams of both the past and present. It was sometimes difficult to track the story through these 4 separate realities.

Ordinary Handsome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like miss_argyle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1979
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 30 Sep 2015, 23:49

Nice review. I love noir style. 8)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

SM+Baird1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SM+Baird1 » 01 Oct 2015, 05:24

Thank you for the review. Very fair, and much appreciated -- Steven

Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: "The Yoke" by Darrell Dunham
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya » 01 Oct 2015, 09:34

Sounds interesting, and your critiques do seem very fair. Nice job!
Latest Review: "The Yoke" by Darrell Dunham

kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 » 01 Oct 2015, 20:34

miss_argyle,
I also appreciated your thoughtful review. Your insight and candor made the book seem quite appealing to me...something I would love to read! You are so right about the "procedural" style that accompanies so many texts of the genre, and I applaud the author for not being one of those numbers. I'll give it a read! Thank you!
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage

HalcyonFlower
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower » 05 Oct 2015, 14:50

Well, that first paragraph took my attention! Thanks for the intriguing review and it's unfortunate that a lot more books than not seem to have simple roles for females.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”