Official Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murd...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Mur

Post by Mike_Lang »

The early to middle 20th century is always a favorite era of mine simply because, as you touched on in your review, it's a modern era while at the same time there's nowhere near the kind of technology we know today. Sometimes a person wonders how they were ever able to solve any crimes at all... it's a testimony to the sharp minds in law enforcement at the time as well as a certain amount of just plain luck!

Anyone who is a fan of true crime might also enjoy The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh. It's the true crime story of the first case to ever use DNA to get a conviction in a criminal trial, during the mid 1980's (I think, been awhile since I read it) a small English village started a volunteer campaign to have all the men in the area within a certain age group give their DNA in an effort to solve a series of several murder/rape cases. Wambaugh has a real gift for that type of thing, the first half reads like a who-done-it while the second half goes into detail about how they eventually got the right man (by that time you know who it is but it's still compelling stuff).
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree that it's a wonder how they solved any crimes at all. In the early 20th century, I think the investigations were more professionally handled in the major cities such as NYC and Boston. Even in recent years, look at how the Boulder, CO police and D.A.'s office bungled the JonBenet Ramsey case in the mid-1990's.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
lilredneckgirl84
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by lilredneckgirl84 »

I agree with you Bookowlie. This book is a great read. I have read it myself and enjoyed it thoroughly. I enjoy true crime quite a bit. The research done for this book did show how it "happened" and the aftermath. Your review was excellent.

-- 30 Dec 2015, 20:31 --

Be Who You Are and Say What You Want Because Those Who Matter Don't Mind and Those Who Mind Don't Matter. Dr. Suess :D
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks and welcome to the forums. :) I am also a fan of true crime books. I like reading about all the clues and how the police solve the crimes.
Brian +++
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 43356">The Liberation Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: My fathers keep
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brian +++ »

Glad you enjoyed the book. I am posting my research material weekly on my website. Enjoy and blessings on your 2016
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Happy New Year to you, too! Although I don't think you are allowed to post the name of your website, I am pretty sure I found it when I read the book. Are the weekly updates on the website or blog?
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I've always found true. Time books to be fascinating and I like how you said that the author transports the reader to early 1900's Saytin. I will definitely be checking this book out. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! I'm not sure if I've read a true crime book, but this one sounds especially fascinating. It's too bad about the disjointed stories, but it looks like the author portrayed a thrilling read. I'm glad you enjoy it, and I may have to give this one a chance!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm not a fan of Crime or mystery, but I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the book. Agree with you on your point about the length of the chapters. Thank You for the great review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

It's nice to see how much research the author did for this story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I don't think this one is for me, but a great review, as always.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Wow! What an interesting book! I've never read a true crime novel of this type! I can't even imagine the hours of research that went in to this project! I'm sure it was a rewarding, but very emotional, experience to break into something that happened 100+ years ago. Your family must be very proud!
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. It is really amazing when an author can transform lots of information into a book. I haven't read a true crime novel before, but this certainly sounds like something that is intriguing to me!
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

I love books about the 20th century, and I love true crime novels. This is first time I have seen them combined! Great review.
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

This is a great review. Congrats on being BOTD! I love true crime stories and grabbed this right up. I'm really interested in this type of true crime especially since the author has personal ties to the story. I love the look into the early 1900's and crime and woman's rights.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I am familiar with these cases. I think it's quite interesting that the author has a link to one of the actual victims. It provides a POV that isn't typically seen in true crime books. I look forward to checking this book out. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”