Needful Things by Stephen King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lourdesinwonderland
Currently Reading: The Dark Half
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lourdesinwonderland.html

Needful Things by Stephen King

Post by lourdesinwonderland »

Has anyone read this book? I read it some time ago when I'd just started in the Stephen King world and I wasn't very much familiarized with it, so I accidentally spoiled myself about three other novels, since this one is the last one placed in the town of Castle Rock (prior to this were written the Dead Zone, Cujo and the Dark Half, along with several short stories). It narrates the lives of several people from town and how they come to change when a new store is opened, a store with a strange name: Needful Things. The novel itself is a representation of the value the people put in objects and how much they're willing to pay for them.

It's a particularly gross and long novel, but I completely loved it. I specially admired King's work in expressing the change in all the people according to the different stories that concerned them, the objects they bought in the store, and how they related to them. I strongly recommend it to any horror-lover, but be aware of the fact that you'd have to read the aformentioned novels, The Dead Zone, Cujo and the Dark Half, otherwise you'll definitely be spoiled.

Good reading! :D
lace_olivares
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lace-olivares.html

Post by lace_olivares »

I read this book before the others as well. I enjoyed it, mostly because it was so twisted and Mr. Gaunt truly is the master of deception. His character got under my skin but that was his purpose. He introduced seemingly innocent objects of "value" to the people of Castle Rock for the price of a favor and the events that follow are nothing if not gruesome. I definitely recommend this book.
alycia+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alycia.html

Post by alycia+ »

To be honest, I saw the movie before I read the book. The movie was..ok and the story line interesting. When I was a little older, my father found a paperback copy for me to read. SO much better than the movie. It was gruesome and completely intriguing. Not my first Stephen King book but my favorite for a while.
NanMarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanmarie.html

Post by NanMarie »

I started reading King in 1978, so I was familiar with Castle Rock and all its foibles. Loved this, but did not find it as exciting as I had hoped. If you really want to enjoy Stephen King, start with his oldest published book and read forward to current. So many of his stories reference characters, locations, and situations from one book to the next, that sometimes it seems you have been reading one continuous story for years. I always smile when I catch a reference from an older book.
ReadingJoy53
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingjoy53.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadingJoy53 »

I had read Needful Things several years ago but still remeber it very well. It is one of those books that sticks with you. I have read hundreds of boos since then and still remember details of this book. Its is on my re-read list.
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

The thing that struck me the most about this book was the "humanness" of it. How easily we can all immediately jump to conclusions based on what we want to see and acknowledge instead of taking a minute to think before we act Mr. Gaunt' ability to be the puppet master so easily is what made this particular story so disturbing to the reader. This is one of those books you can reread from time to time and take something different from it each time. I definitely recommend this book, it is well-worth the time it takes to read it!
Charlotte1900

Post by Charlotte1900 »

I read this book years ago, I often find his work quite hard going but if you keep with it they normally get really good. I loved this one!
danielaz95_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielaz95.html

Post by danielaz95_ »

Good to see there are threats for Stephen King :)

I read this book around 6 years ago, but the story is still so fresh to me. I think he's a brilliant writer. This story was a bit confusing at times and I didn't expect this ending at all! But still a book worth rereading
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

Stephen King's works are always worth commenting on. Just discovered this forum today and realised that there are actually so many people that shares the same common interest as me. Kinda gratifying in knowing that. Going back, this book is really amazing. Stephen King utilises his suspenseful plot, in which derived from the words and structure of the every single proverb, slang, words that he used to create the 'mystery' atmosphere. I think that alone, is a point well deserved of positive comments.
Anya
Currently Reading: The Graveyard Book
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anya.html

Post by Anya »

I read it so much time ago, I can't clearly remember the plot and all the characters, but surely I didn't regret reading it (there's really few King's book I didn't love). I'd like to see the movie too but I don't think it ever was on tv in Italy (at least not during the last few years..) Such a shame...
keyia120
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 552">It</a>
Currently Reading: Follow the Crow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyia120.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by keyia120 »

I have read and use to own this book. I thought that it was an awesome books to read. I have read many books since then but this one is still on of my Stephen King favorites. I am thinking about getting it again on my android and read it again. I love Stephen King and a lot of his books. :)
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

Best. Story. Ever! For me at least. I had read many King novels before this one and was a fan but Needful Things is on a level of King mastery! Well defined, highly relatable characters with highly relatable needs and an antagonist that is a real as any human but will other-worldy intentions that are developed clearly in the reader mind while the rest of the town's characters reveal oblivous. This creates such suspense that I often had to put the book down to reprimand and beg characters as one does in a horror movie. Interestingly enough I dont like horror as a genre but Mr. King's writing, portrayal of characters and plot construction are simply magnificent in this novel!
Mary wegrzyn1061

Post by Mary wegrzyn1061 »

Hello. I read Needful Things by Stephen King and I really enjoyed it. This is a Must Read !!
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I have never been a fan of Stephen King books. I tried a few, but could not get past the first few chapters. They seemed to drag and drag me down. After having seen some of his movies, I am glad I didn't read these when I first tried in my early teens.
My sister, on the hand, reads them all. After this review, I will talk to her and see what she things. Maybe it's time to give him a chance again.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I was just thinking of this novel the other day! Idk if anyone else watches Rick and Morty but they spoofed this story on an episode. I am a huge King fan so I was delighted but my husband has only read the Dark Tower series so he didn’t get the reference :roll:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”