Official Review: Mere Anarchy by Richard Hart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Mere Anarchy by Richard Hart

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mere Anarchy" by Richard Hart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mere Anarchy by Richard Hart is a Hollywood hit waiting to happen! This mystery/suspense novel is packed full of action from start to finish. The story begins with an Air Force team, hand-selected for this top secret mission, traveling to the site of a downed Army plane to search for survivors and to retrieve (or destroy) the unknown cargo that was on board. Once the team arrives problems quickly escalate and many questions are left unanswered. As the story unravels and you read more about the mysterious cargo and the true purpose of the mission, chaos begins to spread. This is one story you want to read through until the end!

Mere Anarchy earns 3 out of 4 stars. I would really love to give this book 4 stars because, as I mentioned before, I could see this becoming a Hollywood hit movie. However, there are a number of spelling, grammatical, and other typographical errors throughout that make it impossible for me to give it the 4th star. Stephen C. Lovatt is noted as the editor for this novel and I think he fell a bit short on his job. Aside from missing periods, missing letters, and a few glaring grammatical errors, Lovatt also missed that the wrong name was used at one point during the story. Henry Barrow is introduced in Chapter 2, but in Chapter 19 he is referred to as Captain Wharton, who is another character in the book. If this change was intentional, it was never made clear why in the story, so I must assume it was a grave oversight.

Moving past the few pitfalls of the novel, it has more positive points. First, Hart uses impeccable details to set the scenes throughout the story. As I was reading this novel, it was easy to relate the events to other military action movies (i.e. - White House Down or Olympus Has Fallen). Hart includes a glossary at the end of the novel with some of the military lingo he uses throughout. This helps for readers that have no personal military experience. It would be nice to see notations next to words that are included in the glossary as you read, since I didn't realize it was there until after I had already finished the book.

Second, there are many shifts in perspective throughout the book, but it is easy to follow when the point-of-view is different. Hart uses symbols or chapter changes to show that there has been a change. These changes in perspective allow the reader to gain a full understanding of what is taking place and to see both sides of the situation. There is a lot going on as the novel builds, so being privy to all of the information helps keep things organized. That being said, you are never given all of the answers until the end.

The target audience for this novel is obviously mature. There is a lot of cursing and inappropriate language used, not to mention the gory content at times. As I have mentioned before, there is a lot going on, so you need a reader that can follow multiple events at a time. I don't think that the reader needs to have military experience to enjoy this book. As a reader with no military experience I was able to decipher the lingo, even without using the glossary provided. What I wasn't able to decipher did not take away from the story.

I have never really been good at guessing what the author's intention was with a written work. I always get so lost in the story and wonder why there needs to be any meaning more than a good story. It is possible that Hart is speaking to the corruption of government, the pitfalls of blind obedience in the military, or just the fragile structure of America. It is clear throughout that most of the characters have been challenged to make moral decisions (what is the right thing to do?) versus making political decisions (what is the best for me/the country?). The characters that make moral decisions don't do as well as the characters that compromise their morals for a more political stance. This change from moral to political plays an important role in the events that unfold.

With another round of editing and revisions to fix the minor flaws, I hope this novel takes off and draws attention from movie producers. This action-packed mystery/suspense novel is a book worth reading and could easily be adapted into a Hollywood hit!

Mere Anarchy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I always get so lost in the story and wonder why there needs to be any meaning more than a good story.
That's a really good point.

I enjoyed your enthusiasm about the story. It can be dismaying when there are too many errors, but it's great that you were able to enjoy the book regardless.
pharsea
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by pharsea »

I'm sorry about the various typos. I assure you that I eradicated many more than got through the net. It is very difficult for a first-time author and editor to spot these things in a text that has become very familiar to them both. I am glad that you enjoyed the book and that the rough edges did not dent your enthusiasm.

I have corrected the reference to "Capt Barrow" in Ch 19. Sadly, without specificity it is impossible to correct the other typos which you indicate a present

Stephen C Lovatt
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I like the cover of the book. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

@pharsea (hopefully that tagged correctly) I would be happy to provide you with more specifics on errors I found! This isn't the first time I wish I could print the copy out and mark mistakes that I find as I go and then provide that copy to the author. In a digital age it's too easy for people to make simple typos and I know when an idea hits sometimes your brain is going so fast your fingers are just flying to keep up. I always follow advise I got back in college: read it out loud and/or have someone read it to you. You are correct, as the author your brain knows what you meant to write, so it fills in the gaps as you go. When you read out loud you force your brain to read the words as they are written and you notice some of the more obvious errors. Let me know if you want me to PM you with more specific mistakes I found.
Journey beyond the jacket.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@rachel_jacks I love how you saw through to the heart of the story and were able to give an impartial review. That always tells me the book is strong if someone can look past its faults. Those kinds of errors can be distracting, but I've loved some books, and only after reading them have I noticed how many errors I notated using my Kindle. It is hard to edit your own work. I've noticed that writing reviews, and had author friends tell me the same. Well congrats to the author on a positive review. If it's this positive now, it will only get more positive with future edits.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”