Review of Intrepid Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Intrepid Spirit

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intrepid Spirit" by David Tunno.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

W​atching Moses Redding develop as an empathetic character in the novel Intrepid Spirit is just part of the pleasure of reading David Tunno's newest book. The title aptly describes this naval officer who displays fearlessness even while disobeying direct orders. Whether he is saving Iranian refugees, commanding a historic ship, or fighting duels, you will be captivated by this handsome sailor.

T​he author opens the prologue with a battle scene in 1805. This begins the foreshadowing that allows the plot to shift seamlessly from past to present, from country to country, and leader to leader. The transitions flow seamlessly and even though the final outcome is predictable, the ride onboard Old Ironsides takes some unexpected turns.

I was drawn in by the author's use of poetic prose. The excerpt at the front of the book is an example of the carefully chosen words that describe the smell of the old ship, the alliterative sounds of creaking and churning, and the sight of the 19th-century uniforms. These sensory elements were my favorite part of the book, but I also enjoyed watching the character development of Redding as he learned about humanity from his crew members.

M​y least favorite part was the host of characters introduced, which were difficult to keep up with at first. However, I gradually had them all sorted out and identified as friends or foes. Switching back and forth from different locations during the climax both added to the excitement and to the difficulty level, but it was an effective technique.

T​he author first wrote this as a screenplay, and I think it would make a great movie to watch but probably expensive to make. The Mediterranean Sea setting would be beautiful. There are some political agendas, a mild reference to a ghost, and a simmering romance, but the universal question of "Is it ever right to do something wrong?" drives the plot.

M​y rating is a strong five out of five. This is listed as C/T/M/H (crime/thriller/mystery/horror), but it doesn't exactly fit any of those categories. There were some military crimes committed. There were some thrilling battle scenes. There were some mysterious behaviors, and the horrors of war were described. We can throw in some humor, romance, and friendship loyalty so that all readers should be able to find something they enjoy. I think the widest audience would be military families who could easily relate to the dynamic characters and celebrate with the victorious winners. If you need cheering up, this feel-good story is the perfect cure.

Intrepid Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I feel like a lot was put into the plot, and that makes this book more exciting to read.
:D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that includes elements of various genres and is written as a screenplay seems quite original. It's difficult for me to relate with a navy officer but his story seems interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Sounds like an interesting story. Loyalty and service tends to soften the hardest of hearts. I would like to know how Moses' character grew throughout the plot. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”