Review of Verity Easton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Verity Easton

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Verity Easton" by M. Rebecca Wildsmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The pharaohs and the royal houses of Egypt have played heavy roles in the history of Egypt, from the famous Queen Nefertiti to the boy King Tutankhamun. With plentiful stories written about them, both fact and fiction, the stories of the pharaohs and their queens have always been full of intrigue. The book Verity Easton, written by M. Rebecca Wildsmith, delivers a tragic tale of buried secrets, murders, and vengeful queens.

Verity Easton, a young and kind girl born to an absent-minded professor, finds herself dragged alongside her father on his quest for ancient knowledge and historical relics. Having matured well beyond her years, Verity subconsciously steps into playing the role of the parent to her clumsy father. She soon gets tired of constantly frolicking with the past instead of the current and modern. When she reconnects with Lady Bethy, the only maternal figure she has ever experienced, it is with excitement for her future. However, with each passing day and very realistic nightmares, Verity finds herself connecting more and more to the past until she becomes a literal extension of it. What role does she play in all of this, and how does Lady Bethy come in?

I liked reading this book a lot. The writer's telling of this ancient tale was amazing. I loved getting to see the inner workings of Verity's mind while she transitioned from a little girl to her final character. Again, I liked how the book included a lot of details about Egypt and its traditions as well as its religion. The book was also beautifully edited, and I could not find any errors in it. I did dislike a few things about the book, though.

First, the author's choice of words was very superfluous, and very huge words were usually used for the simplest of words. While learning new words is fun, I think having to run to the dictionary to check the meaning of a word in almost every sentence gets tedious for the reader. Also, the time period in which the book was set was not mentioned, and it was a bit unsettling trying to figure out in what era the book was set, which would have been avoided if the author had mentioned it.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I didn't rate it higher than this because of its negative points. However, the book is still a very entertaining one. I would recommend this book to lovers of history, especially Egyptian history. I would also recommend it to anyone that loves historical fiction.

Verity Easton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I'm more intrigued by the setting of this story in Egypt. I'd love to read this book.
:D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Generally, historical fiction is not my thing but I find the ancient Egyptian civilization fascinating, so I can make an exception for this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ayesha Faraz
Currently Reading: Before the Coffee Gets Cold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-faraz.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Ayesha Faraz »

After reading this book, I must say I agree with your point of view. The book was marvellous and interesting. It was exciting to read through her nightmares and the unfortunate incidents that occured right after. And then the amazing plot twists that came in with the changes in religious belief had me yearning for more! A big success by M. Rebecca Wildsmith!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”