Review of Alarming Revelations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Alarming Revelations

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alarming Revelations" by Richard Van Doren.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The first thought I got when I read the title was, "this was another book filled with religious studies." But I was shocked at the value stored in every chapter of this book. Alarming Revelation is not just a story but a mirror pointing out the truth or "revelations" Christians should see.

Alarming Revelation by Richard Van Doren is about Abel Haskins and his family. Abel Haskins is a former minister and a former vice Port City detective. He was employed as a teacher in the New Eden Christian Church by his brother-in-law, Silas. He opposes the fact that the book of Revelation in the Bible should be taught to fourth graders. But after much persuasion, he agrees to teach. He met several Christian parents and pastors who opposed his teaching style. He will face the option to either stay or leave. His decisions were without consequences. What really happened to Abel Haskins?

The book is a blend of an interesting storyline and an action-based thriller. This makes an entertaining yet educating read. There's also a point to note about racism and how the victims of it are treated in society. Richard paints a picture of the war between two races. Haskins is described as a neutral white man who has built a safe relationship with the blacks and doesn't act like the regular white extremist.

Aside from Abel being the protagonist, every character's story evolves in the book. The story is not centered on one person. This will help the reader shape the story and get the perspective behind the character's roles.

There is a broad exposition and good interpretation of some notable verses of the Bible and vital information about some historical facts. Such a fact includes the massacre in Nigeria and the Nazis in World War II. Some of the aforementioned have reference materials that have been proven to be true. This is impactful and will help the reader learn a great deal about them. Also, the language employed in the novel is an informal writing style. This is an appropriate approach from the author regarding the list of subject matter explained in the book. Hence, I will rate the book five out of five stars. I didn't find any negative aspects in the book. The book had some errors in it.

I highly recommend this book to Christian readers who want to know more about the intent of the Bible and grow their faiths. I will also recommend the book to readers interested in investigations and detective-like stories. Also, a group of readers who wants more information on the book of Revelations will find this helpful.

Alarming Revelations
View: on Bookshelves
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

You mentioned two characteristics that caught my attention. You cited that it has an interesting storyline and it is an action-based thriller. Also, Christians can relate to the book. Wow, that's impressive. Thank you for your detailed review.
:D
Dagmawit-Anteneh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dagmawit-Anteneh »

Abel & silas
Dagmawit-Anteneh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dagmawit-Anteneh »

Abel Haskins
His brother-in-law Silas
Chizor Adiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Chizor Adiza »

I would really love to learn more about the book of Revelations. It is a book most Christians are intensely scared of reading. But leaving out a part of the bible simply because it is scary would not make one a balanced Christian. Even Children, I believe should be exposed to the book of Revelations so that they know about God as both the Lion and a Lamb.
Chizor Adiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Chizor Adiza »

I would really love to learn more about the book of Revelations. It is a book most Christians are intensely scared of reading. But leaving out a part of the bible simply because it is scary would not make one a balanced Christian. Even Children, I believe should be exposed to the book of Revelations so that they know about God as both the Lion and a Lamb.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”