Review of Deceived

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Deceived

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deceived" by Jean Porro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Someone has been killing children at Hannover Academy. Detective Martin (Marty) Saaco received a call from the grandfather of one victim, wanting Marty to investigate his grandson's murder. The MO (modus operandi) differed from the other children who were molested, tortured, and left to die. Paul, the grandson, had not been molested or tortured and was sedated before he died. The grandfather, Frank Gibran, is a known mobster. Marty is semi-retired and works cold cases on a part-time basis. He had lost his wife two years ago and was still mourning. Did Marty want to get involved in an open case connected to the mob and outside his jurisdiction? He was already working on a cold case of murder from twenty years ago. Marty called an old friend, Jim Taylor. The two had worked together before, and Marty knew if anyone could get the answer to who killed Gibran's grandson Jim could. Gibran's son and daughter-in-law, Paul's parents, died when their plane crashed. Gibran believed Paul's death and his parents' plane crash were connected. Marty and Jim agreed to take the case. Would they regret their decision?

Deceived by Jean Porro is an intriguing mystery crime novel. The action starts within the first few chapters and crescendoes to an ending that slowly comes to light with each chapter. What I liked best about the book was the protagonist, Marty. In my mind, I could picture him as a tough, no-nonsense person, but also one with compassion and a heart of gold. Marty had a theory about who the killer was, but for Gibran's sake, he hoped he was wrong.

The only negative thing about this book is that the storyline is predictable. The reader will know who the killer is several chapters before the ending. There were a few minor errors, but nothing distracting enough to interfere with my reading enjoyment. As I expected, there was a fair amount of profanity based on the storyline, but there were no graphically violent scenes. The book appears professionally edited.

I am rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. It has all the elements of a mystery crime novel designed to keep the reader wondering what will happen next. There are well-developed characters, and the storyline flows easily from chapter to chapter with a gradual buildup to the end. However, because of the predictability of the storyline, which detracts from the excitement of a mystery crime novel, I have deducted one star.

I recommend Deceived to adult fans of mystery crime novels. I would not encourage teens under sixteen to read this book because of the profanity. If you enjoy a classic crime novel, you will enjoy this book.

Deceived
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

This book would really be intriguing and trigging one. Honestly, I look forward to reading this book.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

A predictable mystery novel takes away all the fun. I wish there was more suspense to the story. Thanks for your honest review!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I won’t know who the killer is. I’m very bad at reading clues and deducing the ending from them. I do hope that Paul’s killer is brought to justice and his grandfather is not too shocked.
Palta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palta.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Palta »

the fact that i would get to know who the killer is before the ending, would be a turn off. i will still read the book anyway.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

Despite knowing who the killer is before the end of the book, I will still want to read it. Thanks for this honest review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This crime mystery seems intriguing thanks to its plot and characters even if the killer is revealed before the ending. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Favyugwu wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 11:26 This book would really be intriguing and trigging one. Honestly, I look forward to reading this book.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Shedrack A wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 11:47 A predictable mystery novel takes away all the fun. I wish there was more suspense to the story. Thanks for your honest review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 15:09 I won’t know who the killer is. I’m very bad at reading clues and deducing the ending from them. I do hope that Paul’s killer is brought to justice and his grandfather is not too shocked.
The killer is a surprise, just revealed too early! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Palta wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 10:02 the fact that i would get to know who the killer is before the ending, would be a turn off. i will still read the book anyway.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kemzy5 wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 09:14 Despite knowing who the killer is before the end of the book, I will still want to read it. Thanks for this honest review.
I believe you will enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 16:11 This crime mystery seems intriguing thanks to its plot and characters even if the killer is revealed before the ending. Thank you for your great review!
The book still has a good ending! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”