Review: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicole426
Currently Reading: The Man in the High Castle
Bookshelf Size: 10

Review: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

Post by Nicole426 »

I have read a plethora of books by Stephen King over the years, but my all time favorite is still The Dead Zone. It was my first taste of the master of horror and it was a good taste. It is not the most famous, but has still garnered a movie and a relatively successful tv show.

The plot focuses on a likable school teacher with the most average name of John Smith. He of course lives in Maine, like most of Mr. King's characters. He goes on a date to a fair one night and his date starts not to feel well so he takes her home. Being refused to come in, he drives home and is involved in a car accident that leaves him in a coma. When he wakes up years later, he discovers he has psychic abilities due to part of his brain being triggered when it rewired itself to compensate for the damage. This is an area that is normally dormant, the titular "Dead Zone".

This psychic ability is triggered through touch. He must touch someone to see their future. The main plot involves him seeing a politician causing the nuclear holocaust if he becomes President leading to the struggle of "If you could travel back in time and kill Hitler, would you?"

I like this book because of that thought provoking theme. The main character is also a likable average guy that I feel many of us could relate to. I also enjoyed the ending, I felt that it was satisfying and a good twist. I think that this is one of Stephen King's best stories that all fans of him and the genre should give a try.
kjriggs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kjriggs »

Loved this book and the movie wasn't bad either
willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by willo »

This classic book's theme really matches the story in the series adaptation.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The book was good, but I preferred the film. The film makes you think he’s failed, but then you get the dead zone flashes and you see that he succeeded. The book had a bit of a saccharine end with his ghost saying that all is well. I had the same feelings about the shining too.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have actually never read any Stephen King books. I have seen many of the movies and they have made me want to read the books, books always have more details and you get to know the characters more thoroughly. I have seen the movie and the TV show. Christopher Walk-in is amazing, I love the theme and it is so relevant that political leaders could cause great harm. I love when supernatural aspects are applied to real issues.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 13:26 I have actually never read any Stephen King books.
:o

What is this phenomenon you speak of???

Jk, but you should definitely check them out if the movies have you interested. He’s an amazing writer. I feel his characters so much.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”