Review of Taken In Africa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of Taken In Africa

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taken In Africa" by Nick ffrench.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Freddy moved his father's business from central London to the offices on the tenth floor, where it now works with other large and successful businesses in London. This happened after his father died in an accident. Ten years before then, Freddy's father brought him into the company, where he worked from bottom to top. As his father and grandfather had both passed, he discovered an envelope with papers suggesting that his grandfather owned a hotel in South Africa. He was very surprised as to why this property had been kept a secret. So he set out on a journey to South Africa to find out more about this property that his grandfather owned and to surprise his mother and uncle, who had been living in SA for a while. When he gets there, he learns that his mother has supposedly gone back to the UK, and no one knows the whereabouts of his uncle. Finding a companion in a lady (Jenny) who works at the hotel, he is determined to find all the missing pieces of the puzzle. Along the way, he makes friends in Africa out of necessity—friends who will be indispensable. What happened to Freddy's mother and uncle in South Africa? Why did his grandfather keep the hotel in South Africa a secret?

Taken In Africa by Nick ffrench has a well-developed and well-thought-out plot. Sincerely, the plot went in a direction that I wasn't expecting. Judging from the way the book started, I thought it was going to be mostly a flashback into the life of Freddy as he was growing up, exposing the life of his father and why he prefers his grandfather. There were a few flashbacks quite alright, but the author quickly moved to a more action-filled narrative, which I am quite happy with.

This book was written in a narrative style. When the book started, there was a bit of a backstory about the characters, and the story became progressive afterward. The book is fast-paced, too. Just four pages in, and I've known what Freddy did last night, the kind of person he is, his work attitude, the past two generations of his family, etc.

I love the way the author built suspense in this book. From the start, I got a hint that Freddy's father was a bad man. But the author didn't say outright why he was a bad person. Instead, he kept giving hints and building suspense around what he could have done. I was so curious and didn't know what to expect. The author got me to the best place a reader would love to be.

This book is full of statistics about human, drug, and sex trafficking. It also touched on bribery, corruption, etc., in South Africa, Mozambique, and Swaziland. Not only that, but the author wrote it from an opposing viewpoint. He seems appalled by them and angry that no one is doing anything about them. I also love the way the author explained polygamy through the character of Jenny. It was both informative and entertaining.

I disliked only one thing in this book. Freddy and Jenny's relationship seemed a bit cheezy. I understand that it was love at first sight, but they didn't even take time before professing their feelings for each other. Some other readers may find the romance okay, but it all looks fake to me. However, this negative aspect is minor and is not enough for me to remove a star from the rating. Hence, I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book felt like a good action movie. As I read the book, everything was playing in my head. I will recommend it to readers who enjoy mystery and thriller stories. While reading the book, I encountered a few errors. This shows that it was professionally edited.

Taken In Africa
View: on Bookshelves
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

This book has a lot to pass across to its readers, ranging from sex, drugs, and even sex trafficking. I would love to learn what the book entails.
Sonie Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonie-daniel.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Sonie Daniel »

That was a nice review. Mysteryand thriller are my thing. I got the sense that something was up with his family and that's why the hotel was a secret.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

The name of this book is the first thing that creates suspense for the readers. Then getting into the book, you are introduced to many more secrets, mystery and action. Can't wait to find out more about Freddy's mother, uncle and the hotel in Africa. Great review!
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I will like to find out what secret was hidden from Freddy and his romantic relationship with Jenny. Thanks for your beautiful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging thriller that also offers information about important issues that still plague many parts of the world. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The fact that the book seems to challenge readers' assumptions and biases about social issues shows that the author is not afraid to tackle complex topics and engage readers in a deeper conversation.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The narrative style of the book sounds appealing, with a mix of backstory and action that moves the story forward at a fast pace. I like how the author builds suspense and keeps the reader guessing about the motives and actions of the characters, adding an extra layer of complexity to the story.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

While the romance aspect of the book may not be everyone's cup of tea, I appreciate that the reviewer acknowledges it as a minor issue that doesn't detract from the overall quality of the book.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The plot sounds intriguing and well-developed, with unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader engaged. The fact that the book tackles important issues like human trafficking, corruption, and polygamy is commendable, and I appreciate the author's oppositional stance on these topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Post by Salome Ogani »

I appreciate that the reviewer notes the professional editing of the book, which can often be a make-or-break factor for readers. The fact that the reviewer is giving the book a perfect 5-star rating is a strong endorsement and suggests that this is a book that is definitely worth reading.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”