Review of The Parachutists

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of The Parachutists

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Parachutists" by Richard L. Minnich.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story in The Parachutists by Richard L. Minnich followed the wake of the Gulf War. William Paradise was a major whose life was ruined by one man's greed. Just like William, Corporal John 'Tom-Tom' Brazer was another man whose life was forever altered by the same man. William and Tom-Tom teamed up ten decades after the deed that led to their 'deaths,' determined to exert vengeance. Their plan had been in the works for years. With the help of another comrade, Sammy Madino, known as 'The Snake,' they gathered a five-person team of expert criminals to help execute their plans. As their plans unfolded, so did unforeseen hiccups like betrayals and looming threats from crime clans in town. As William battled with amnesia, he started questioning everything he had been told. He was now in danger of becoming the man he was hunting.

The Parachutists came with a plot steeped in suspense and intrigue. The story had so many arcs, and most of them unexpectedly brought excitement and mystery to an already mysterious plot. In the initial parts of the story, it may seem confusing for readers to be presented with many details with no full background to base them on. However, the complete gist of the story came much later in the book. Therefore, readers should stick it out until all the juicy parts start falling into place. The plot was replete with exciting conspiracies and breath-holding moments that made reading worthwhile. Generally, the book gave off Bourne Identity vibes.

The chapters began with something like a movie script, giving readers the location, time, and date of the scene that was about to unfold. It allowed for an easy following of the plot and added frenzied anticipation, as the dates seemed like a countdown to the action.

The author painted a mental picture of the characters with the way he always described them by stating their ages, hair, skin, eye color, etc. The characterization was diverse and inclusive of different races. There were blacks and even a Cherokee Indian. They were also quite flexible; some of the characters played roles different from the ones with which they were first introduced. It was hard to warm up to any particular character as they aroused different emotions and reactions. Part of the reason for this was simply the thick suspicious atmosphere that permeated the story. I wasn't sure who to trust that may turn out to be the bad guy, so I played it safe so as not to be disappointed.

The only unsatisfactory aspect of this book was the mellow posture of the crime clans in the story. I expected a more villainous response from them, but this did not happen. In any case, the book's ending delivered many exciting and shocking resolutions, which were satisfying.

Overall, The Parachutists was entertaining with conspiracies, mystery, danger, action, and mind-spinning twists. It was well edited but still in need of further editing. I'd recommend this book to lovers of thrillers and mystery. Regardless of the minor concern, I'd rate it five out of five stars.

The Parachutists
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

I had a great time with to much interested. This is the great review
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

From your review, I can see that the author of this book did a very good job. I'd love to find out more about the characters.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

The title of this book was hilarious at first but after I read the review the book began to make sense. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with various ramifications for the lives of well-constructed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”