Review of The Boy in the dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
2023 Reading Goal: 5
2023 Goal Completion: 100%

Review of The Boy in the dark

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boy in the dark" by Ken McKechnie.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Boy in the Dark by Ken McKechnie tells the tale of a young boy, Thomas Pascoe, whose father worked as a miner. He had to quit school to care for his mother and siblings after his father was killed in the mines. There are rumors that his father was murdered and that it was not an accident. There appeared to be someone pursuing something that his father owned. Everyone was aware of John Pascoe's skill as a miner and his propensity for finding large lodes. Soon after, individuals approach Thomas and his family in search of his late father's book. They quickly discover that the book contains mine secrets and that, if they can decipher the code used in it, they will find the fortune his father promised them. Will Thomas be able to learn the truth about his father's passing and discover this great fortune, or will he perish in the mines like his father?

The characters' personification was fantastic. As I read the book, I had the impression that I was one of the characters and was even rooting for Thomas to succeed. Being the firstborn and responsible for providing for and protecting his family, I could feel his desperation. The plot was masterfully executed, and I never once got lost in it or got bored reading it. The author's descriptions of the mines are detailed, and I could picture what it must have been like to be underground in the pitch black and how it smelled. I can only imagine what it must be like to work in such a hazardous environment where your life is constantly in danger, and as such, I know miners must be courageous people. I really enjoyed the book's mysteries, which compelled me to keep reading because I was eager to learn what would happen next.

I thought the author's writing was excellent and engaging. I could easily picture the events taking place, where Thomas and the other characters lived, and their means of subsistence, which helped to make the story more plausible and set the scene for the storyline. The letters the characters wrote to one another were also plausible because the content of the letters fit the personalities of the characters.

I discovered no flaws in the book. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It has been exceptionally well edited, and I didn't find any grammatical mistakes. The story's adventures were entertaining, and I thought the ending was appropriate. I would love to read a continuation of Thomas’ adventures.

People who enjoy mystery-infused adventure stories should read this book, in my opinion.

The Boy in the dark
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Enigma Rose
Bookshelf Size: 884
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

We all have responsibilities, don’t we? Most of us don’t have so much, so early, though. I am excited to discover all about Thomas and his friends have to do. Being able to see things clearly in your mind is essential for a good book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”