Review of Targeted Witness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-omollo.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Review of Targeted Witness

Post by Jane Omollo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Targeted Witness" by Jacqueline Adam.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After the high-profile murder of Congressman Johnson at a fundraising art gala, investigations commence, aimed at bringing the murderer to book. Surprisingly, no records or cameras catch the scene, leaving the only link and possible identifier of the murderer as Cassandra Roberts, an artist present at that gala. She makes and publicizes lifelike sketches and paintings of the murderer, now dubbed The Wolf by the media. She was the first person to put a face on this assassin, and given the high-profile nature of this case, she became a hero.

If one person wasn't going to take this lying down, it was the assassin. He began pursuing and trailing Cassandra with the sole aim of eliminating her. The US Marshalls moved her into heavy seclusion and kept her there for years. She changes her name to Cassie Whitfield and has a few plastic adjustments done on her face. These do not hold The Wolf at bay; in fact, he intensifies his pursuit. She moves to Bakerton, where she joins her ex-boyfriend Ryan, who would become a much-needed ally in her quest to defeat the persistent serial killer. Together with the FBI and other security agencies, they teamed up to tackle an opponent that turned out to have massive support from unexpectedly influential people. Will Cassie and her team survive The Wolf's attacks? Pick up this book, Targeted Witness by Jacqueline Adam, to find out.

What a page-turner! I could hardly stop flipping the pages of this creatively written book. The author did so well with the plot that the story became more exhilarating with every new development. Jacqueline expertly created suspense; every escapade Cassie or the other characters had with The Wolf was well-described, and the information was given in controlled bits. When the story seemed to be headed in a specific direction, an occurrence would build up a whole new turbulence and chaos in the story. I couldn't tell what would come next with every scene. There was a moment in the book when I thought all was cool and Cassie was finally safe, only for a series of mishaps and messes to get her into an even more bottomless pit.

Jacqueline also did a great job developing the characters. Most of them were relatable and had a personality clearly defined for them. My favorite character had to be Ryan. His stoic, brave, and caring demeanor made him so likable. Even when he seemed to make the wrong decisions, they always had the right intentions behind them. Walter, although firm, also had the excellent attribute of listening to others' inputs. He also came out as an outstanding leader. I also enjoyed the conversations in the book. They made the story lively and much more engaging.

While this book was generally well-written and edited, the first few pages were an exception. I found it challenging to get through the first five to ten pages. The sentence structures were a bit off, and the vocabulary was a little bit intricate. I also noticed some errors on those few pages. Things, however, got better and were excellent, just a few pages in. I will, therefore, not factor this into my rating, as it got quickly corrected. It was also interesting to note that this was the author's first published work.

In that regard, I give this book a perfect rating of five out of five stars. It is written creatively and professionally edited. I'd recommend it to all lovers of crime thrillers.

Targeted Witness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”