Review: "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Review: "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown

Post by LunaRowan »

Book Details:
Title: Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
Author: Dan Brown
Published: 2000 by Simon & Schuster, Inc.
ISBN: 978-1-4165-7874-1
Pages: 713 pages
Genre: Thriller
Rating: 5 of 5
Read In: 10 days

My Review:
I am constantly amazed by the eclectic knowledge Dan Brown puts into his novels. Angels & Demons is his first novel starring famed Harvard professor and symbologist Robert Langdon, and showcases Brown's extensive research into such subjects as architecture, European history, physics, geography, art history, secret societies, Catholocism, and symbology. The author uses a vast amount of facts and accuracy to educate the reader while spinning a fully-engaging story that is impossible to put down. I made the mistake of watching Hollywood's take on this novel first, and as seems to be the rule, it did not do justice to the unnerving suspense and vivid imagery Brown pumps into every last chapter. I only regret that it took me so long to finally read it!

This is the story of good versus evil, man versus the divine, and the centuries-long battle of science versus religion. When a renowned physicist and ordained priest is found murdered and branded with the symbol of a secret society lost to the pages of history, who is called in but Robert Langdon. The plot quickly thickens when it is revealed that the subject of Dr. Vetra's most recent research has also gone missing. Langdon and Vetra's daughter Vittoria are thrown into the most gripping twenty-four hours of their lives. Combing Vatican City, prying out its deeply hidden secrets, the protagonists race against the clock (literally) to find answers to an ever-growing list of questions- answers the reader could never guess.

There was no question that this book deserves the full five of five stars. Brown is a master of the thriller genre, creating smart, suspenseful novels with deep, three-dimensional characters and exotic locations. He definitely sets the bar for all suspense writers.
mere81
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mere81.html

Post by mere81 »

Great read. Every time I thought I figured out something I questioned there was another twist. I couldn't put it down. Dan Brown is a genius.
MatisseVH
Currently Reading: Black Death at the Golden Gate
Bookshelf Size: 1515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matissevh.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MatisseVH »

"Angels and Demons" is a wonderful book. I enjoy Dan Brown books and especially the Robert Langdon series. The clues in famous works of art, historical buildings and history, is incredible. It is hard to create a mystery like this, but it is even more difficult to incorporate famous works of history. I highly recommend it, for a stimulating read, that you will not be able to put down.
anitaymoore
Favorite Author: Too many to choose
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitaymoore.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by anitaymoore »

I have read the entire series of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series and I totally agree with this review! The historical and scientific facts he includes truly impress me. Having been a student of Art History and Ancient History in college, and still having a huge fascination with both, find myself shaking my head in the affirmative when I read along when he includes such details. It just so happens that I had just been to Rome right before reading Angels & Demons and his descriptions left me feeling like I was right back in the middle of it, experiencing it anew. I've read interviews with Brown where he is asked about how he goes about putting his books together. You have to hand it to the man, he is no stranger to due diligence. He does years of research before he actually sits down to write.

One thing too that I like about this series is that you can read each book independently. You do not have to read them in order. I believe this is one reason he gives quite a bit of background information in each book (some people complain about that.) I can't wait for the next one to come out, I will definitely be pre-ordering!
willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by willo »

Quite fascinating. Compared to the movie, at least the book explains as to how and why things are done in certain ways.
hkenney26
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkenney26.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by hkenney26 »

I loved this book! To this day, it remains one of my favorite books. I appreciate when an author takes the time to do their research and really dive into an area of expertise. I always learn something from a Dan Brown novel, and never became bored reading this book. I am someone who can usually guess where a novel is headed, but this book had me surprised and at the edge of my seat.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
mlodge1985
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mlodge1985 »

"Angels and Demons" is a fantastic must read all by morning kind of book. Such details and the need to find out more keep you reading all night long.
s2Layla

Post by s2Layla »

I really enjoyed this book... It was full of facts, mystery and unexpected twists. Every page had me hooked and I enjoyed every moment of it, this is a well known gem. :techie-studyingbrown:
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

Dan Brown did not disappoint with Angels & Demons. It was a great read and though the movie was done surprisingly well it just could not compare to the book.
Selin_Gunderen101

Post by Selin_Gunderen101 »

I have truly enjoyed reading Angels & Demons. Not only was I fascinated by the chase, but the history and all the art that had been mentioned. It is fascinating how the Vatican is super secretive about what is in the archives.
TME888
Favorite Book: Lasher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tme888.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by TME888 »

Angels and Demons was one of my favorites of Dan Brown. I couldn't put it down and want to read his book Origin. I know it will be another remarkable read!
jb1519

Post by jb1519 »

Truely it is an unputdownable book. Had finished it in two days. The perfect blend of fiction and facts, sciends and religion never fails to amaze me. What makes Brown different from other authors is that he gives his books an educational approach as if trying to make things known through his plot be it history of religions,symbolism,antimatter and what not. He definitely made young adults curious about different fields of study through his various characters. Angels and Demons has such a well weaved plot that you hardly can guess what follows. Not intending to give a spoiler ,I have to say the Illuminati group and consequent murders does give it a thriller approach.....it is definitely a must read.
SF21
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SF21 »

I agreed with the main plot here. Nowadays, people use religion as a tool
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I haven't read the book yet, but going through your review and the comments above gives me the hype me to purchase it.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I definitely agree with the rating and opinion of this book! I loved reading about Robert Langdon, and Dan Brown delivers an epic book full of mystery suspense!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”