Review of To kill a public crook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of To kill a public crook

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To kill a public crook" by Steven S Stewart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Charley Dakota had been passionate about flying helicopters for the US Army following a brutal jet plane terrorist attack he witnessed on September 11, 2001, during his university days. He decided to get trained in helicopter flying, and he later got an ROTC offer to join the US Army, which enabled him to realize his dream of flying the AH-64A Apache attack helicopter.

One day, Charlie was made to lead four Apaches over the Kandahar Valley to provide a defensive attack and cover for the marines. Then he was to lead the Apaches back to their base. However, an unfortunate attack was unleashed by the RPG on the armies on the flight. Charley's lover, Karen, died, and he was bruised into a traumatic condition.

Following his health condition, Charlie was brought to the hospital for treatment. Instead of Charley getting the normal treatment that would restore his mental health, he fell victim to two VA doctors who are under service to a yet-unknown political coup. The doctors exploited his traumatic condition to implant new thoughts and passion in him. After he's been transformed mentally, he gets his name changed to a more deadly one, Viper, and he's about to eliminate corrupt government leaders. Charley would use his intelligence and expertise in aircraft flying; however, he would enter the climax of his problem that would pose death threats to him as he would enter into trouble with his initiator, some American detectives, and police forces.

To Kill a Public Crook by Steven Stewart is a crime thriller that displays how an intelligent guy gets himself into being exploited by American political forces, experience the activities of brutal killing assignments, and how every force expert gathers head together to wipe him out of existence.

This book is written from the third-person perspective, and it has a wealth of action scenes. I commend the author for having come up with such an educational, informative, and entertaining piece. The book contains lots of true technologies and substances in the real medical world, such that I was awestruck by the author's proof of thorough research in the book.

On the action side, the book's plot is a mix of intriguing events that kept my eyebrows raised while reading the power scenes characterized by unrelenting and technological efforts toward coming to a resolution. Starting from the start of the book, the tone of the brutal event is already set. For example, in the first chapter, which showed how Charlie's initial dream would be shattered, I was entertained by a war scene that ended with the killing of six and the wounding of five. Also, the author's choice of words allowed me to visualize these scenes, such that I could get an engaging reading experience.

On the informative and educational side of the book, it gives peculiarities about America's Army. After I came across lots of the American army's terms, I decided to do a quick Google search on some of them. Then I was made to know the ROTC program as a training program for recruiting its graduates into America's army. The author also describes well and correctly those medical proceedings and technological undertakings that would take place to change a human's mind, erasing the previous lingering thoughts and replacing them with new ones.

Conversely, I discovered that the love relationship between detective Scott and Steele is not well connected to their detective role in the story's plot. This is because I kept coming across unnecessary love exaltation between the two lovers in the scenes that ooze out serious detective complexities. This inadequacy watered down my enjoyment of the book a bit in many of the scenes. The author would have provided a different scene in which the scenario surrounding it would suit a carnal frenzy and love exaltation. For example, I am not comfortable with how Scott turned romantic over Steele, his love partner, while Curt's identity was proving difficult to be identified.  I expected him to be more concerned in such a situation than to have such thoughts. For this inadequacy, the book loses one star. So, I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars. And I recommend it to lovers of killing scenes and crime novels with a romantic touch. The book has a lot of different curse words in it, so if you don't mind, you will enjoy the book for its action scenes and intriguing plot.

The book is professionally edited, as I only came across a few grammar errors that didn't deprive me of a meaningful comprehension of the book.

To kill a public crook
View: on Bookshelves
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that talks about the story of how Charley is passionate to fly a helicopter for the US army and how he later pursue it by getting trained in helicopter flying and the adventure that comes after that. The book is educational and informative, and the plot is intriguing. Nice review.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 546
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I like that the book is written in the third person and that it is full of action. Now that you have pointed it out, I will definitely pay attention to this book.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I really enjoyed your review, this book sounds interesting and captivaying. I love Charley Dakota. I will give this book a try.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Blessing Chi Peculiar wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 21:21 I really enjoyed your review, this book sounds interesting and captivaying. I love Charley Dakota. I will give this book a try.
Thank you for your comments. I hope you get to read it.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Wow! I enjoyed your review! Those two should be punished according to the law. How can someone who needs care and treatment be exploited for their personal gains. I’ll love to give this book a trial.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Proof Readar »

Park Cherri wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 07:23 Wow! I enjoyed your review! Those two should be punished according to the law. How can someone who needs care and treatment be exploited for their personal gains. I’ll love to give this book a trial.
That is alright Park. I am sure you will enjoy the story as well.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The book sure has an interesting plot judging from your review, but I don't find books like this appealing. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Exploitation and deceit are common among organization. The good guys get to be used and abused with little to no reward. I hope Charles gets the reprieve he deserves.
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

Not a fan of Crime thriller but you review is nice and well written, to see that there's a touch of romance makes it sound even more interesting. Steven Stewart must be an excellent author. Great review
Geraldokeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldokeke.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Geraldokeke »

I really enjoyed this review and learning a little about Charles and his exploits. I hope he is able to overcome his hardships. Looking forward to reading this book. Thanks.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Charlie or Charley? Anyway, I’m glad he was able to use his passion for flying for good before the accident and was able to help eliminate corruption afterward, even with a new name.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

The storyline is interesting. It's so sad that Charley was exploited in his vulnerable state. But it's reassuring to know what was done to him was to eliminate corrupt leaders. I would love if he recovers his true self at the end.
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

You have reviewed the book in detail and in many ways. I am glad that you mentioned its educational side in addition to its literary aspect. Great review!
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow, what a fascinating and exciting review. Just reading the review has given me some tips of how interesting the novel is. I think l will give the novel a try. looking forward in seeing charley execute his revenge on the corrupt leaders .extraordinary! Wow!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”