Review of Good Lads

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-omollo.html
Latest Review: Good Lads by Terence O'Rourke
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 160%

Review of Good Lads

Post by Jane Omollo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Lads" by Terence O'Rourke.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Regular activities in Bull Heads Pub in Halifax, West Yorkshire, get suspended when two unsuspecting guys get in and torch the whole place. This arson sets the pace for a thrilling, fast-paced, action-packed gang story written by Terence O'Rourke, Good Lads. The fire gets the attention of the police, who swiftly kickstart the complex investigation process. First, they have to figure out the motives and intentions of those who set off the fire, but it's not only them who act after the inferno. Bobby Collins, the owner of the pub and the leader of a gang in the city, also needs to find answers fast and act.

Bobby believes the fire might have been caused by a rising gang led by two Polish brothers, Pete and Willy. Well, Bobby only knows one way of dealing with this threat and isn't hesitant to execute it. So he sets out on a mission to eliminate this potential threat to his dominance. This plot, like many others Bobby had hatched up to now, succeeds, but he still has work to do to protect his territory. He has to fend off police and investigative agencies who keep sniffing around, hoping they'll finally find something to send him to jail for. He also has to deal with a surprising and real threat from an Irish gang led by Irish Bill, who forces him to investigate the murder of his daughter. Despite all this, the calm and stoic Bobby remains adamant about getting into the lucrative drug business, which gets him entangled with another dangerous drug cartel from Columbia. Bobby faces many challenges through his journey and has to deal with them to survive in the murky world he chose for himself. Being the expert Bobby is, he assembles a group of dedicated, hardworking, and composed people that help him navigate the huge waves that come his way. These are the people he occasionally refers to as his good lads.

This book was an absolute page-turner. It constantly kept me on the edge of my seat and never let me get comfortable. The consistent action, plot twists, and suspense left me yearning for more of the story. I enjoyed that I couldn't predict what would happen in the next chapter or even the next page as I read the book. The book's descriptions of actions and scenes were vivid and clear. The author also knew which emotions to stir at which points, which improved the experience of reading the book. Specifically, it almost felt like watching the crime film Gangs of London.

The author did excellently with character development in this book. He explored sides of the characters that showed their emotions and personalities quite well. I couldn't help but fall in love with the protagonist in the story, Bobby Collins. He was always calm, calculative, and brutal when required. I loved that he could show empathy towards his men even when they made costly mistakes. Also, he always came through for them and even shared the same lawyer with them. The fact that he believed they were good people and even called them good lads said so much about him. This isn't a trait most authors would give to gang leaders in their stories. Arthur's loyalty, though expected, was also something I liked about the story.

Another trait of a good writer is their ability to simultaneously flow different storylines and thoughts in a book without making them confusing. Terence gives us almost four parallel storylines in the book, jellying them expertly and enjoyably. He narrated the police investigations, cartel rivalries, politics, drug business, Bobby's club business, and love life without confusing them. I loved that I was able to keep up with all these stories without even once getting confused. I applaud the author for jellying these stories perfectly.

I disliked nothing about this book; therefore, I gave it a perfect five out of five stars. It was well-written and professionally edited. The language was also simple and easy to understand. However, the understandable use of profanity in the book may make it unsuitable for younger audiences. I recommend it to all crime thrillers lovers; they'll enjoy reading this one.

Good Lads
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are as many reasons (or excuses) for murder as there are people who commit them. This is why I continue to enjoy these books. Bobby and Bill have what they think are excellent reasons.
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Omollo »

Amy Luman wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 14:59 There are as many reasons (or excuses) for murder as there are people who commit them. This is why I continue to enjoy these books. Bobby and Bill have what they think are excellent reasons.
Sure, Amy. And they're so convinced about their reasons.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas
2022 Reading Goal: 60
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for an amazing and detailed review Jane! I think you've expressed your liking for the book wonderfully. And I do like fast paced crimes thrillers and this one sounds like a good choice.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Dancing on Waves by Hillary Hauser

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an exciting, well-written page-turner. It's commendable that the author took the time to develop the characters so thoroughly. Thank you for your review and recommendation.
"Intense love does not measure, it just gives."
Mother Teresa
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Omollo »

Kavita Shah wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 15:05 Thank you for an amazing and detailed review Jane! I think you've expressed your liking for the book wonderfully. And I do like fast paced crimes thrillers and this one sounds like a good choice.
Thank you for the very kind comments, Kavita.
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:

Post by Jane Omollo »

MsH2k wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 19:52 This sounds like an exciting, well-written page-turner. It's commendable that the author took the time to develop the characters so thoroughly. Thank you for your review and recommendation.
Thank you for passing by.
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Sounds like a book that will give me thrills down my spine. I'm definitely going to read. Thanks for the review.
Hassifah1210
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hassifah1210.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Hassifah1210 »

This is surely a must read for me.I liked how you summarised the book and you explanation on the character traits. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Life is not all about success and money. It's about the love and affection a person gets from his loved ones :D :lol: .
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Anna_1203 »

Apart from the thrilling storyline, the book seems to contain many life lessons. I would love to read it. Thank you for your review.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Roots and Wings by Lili-Ann Kriegler
2022 Reading Goal: 500
2022 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Bobby really has to go through a lot of challenges. But then, that is the path he has chosen. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”