Review of The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald K 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-k-1.html
Latest Review: The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller by Diandra Archer
2022 Reading Goal: 65
2022 Goal Completion: 27%

Review of The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller

Post by Donald K 1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller" by Diandra Archer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The idea that ghosts exist in our world has always been superstitious and fictional. As to whether they do or not, this reviewer cannot say. The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller is a crime/action thriller by Diandra Archer with the central theme weaved around the existence of ghosts among the living. After Onyx's life was brought to an end by her husband, Ulrich, she chose to remain in the living realm as a ghost. Just like her, there were also other ghosts among the living. One of them was Dolly, who owned the ghost circus.

Dolly had employed several other ghosts as part of her circus act. From time to time, these ghosts went out according to schedule to harness energy from those with terminal illnesses and addicts. However, one of them turned into a serial killer. Newt, a genius working with the FBI with a penchant for solving the most complex of cases, is put in charge of this case. He recruits his team, and they start to collect evidence on the killings. Throughout this book, we'll be introduced to the circus, Onyx Webb's story, Newt's abilities, and how the actions all add up.

I've always found ghost stories interesting. The idea of life after death is fascinating, and I'm sure everyone must have given it some thought at some point in their lives. I enjoyed reading this book. The lives of the characters were interesting. One such was Newton. I loved his smarts and problem-solving abilities. After reading about his work on the Drugged Spider Program, I was impressed. I also liked that he knew he had weaknesses and acknowledged them instead of hiding them or blaming them for his shortcomings. I liked the author's creativity in penning this story. It was uniquely thought-out. The story was written in the third-person perspective; however, I noticed that the perspective centred on many characters instead of just one. This mode of writing enabled the readers to have an overview of different events going on at once.

A few things didn't sit well with me, though. The first was the numerous characters; this book had many of them, and the fact that the story was told from almost all of their perspectives gave the book an uncoordinated approach. In one instance, they could be saying something thoughtful, and the next chapter would interrupt with a different part of the storyline. I wasn't impressed by that. The briefness of the chapters was another area of interest. They needed to be longer most of the time and disrupted the flow of the story. This briefness, coupled with the perspective shifts, just messed with the story.

All in all, the story was a nice one. I rate The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star due to the issue with the shortened chapters and the numerous perspectives highlighted above. I recommend this story to audiences interested in crime thrillers, action novels, fantasy, and mystery books.

The Ghost Circus: An Onyx Webb Supernatural Thriller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do believe in life after death, but not in this way. Still, it is a very interesting topic. There are several people I know that would enjoy haunting some others after death.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Emmy page »

Ghosts stories and there suspenseful nature fascinate and scare at the same time. This book seams to provide just that. From this review its appears interesting to read the book, and get the first hand sequence of events, and how these particular ghosts send chills down the spines of their victims.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Quite fascinating. I understand your dislike with this book. Everyone having a point of view means the book would be voluminous and uncoordinated. Nice review you've written. I still believe I'd love to read this book.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Jane Omollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-omollo.html
Latest Review: Good Lads by Terence O'Rourke
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 160%

Post by Jane Omollo »

This book sounds exciting and quite mysterious. I'd like to read more about ghosts. Thanks for the detailed review.
Famzi Ken
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Famzi Ken »

I don't believe in the existence of ghosts. But there's a crime thriller in this book, and I like crime thrillers. So I might try it sometime. However, I don't like many characters in a book. I find it confusing to keep track of them. Great review
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

This seems like an interesting read. However, the brevity of the chapters and abrupt disconnection of a particular line of thought between chapters is a turn off for me. I'll pass on this one.
Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”