Official Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his debut as a novelist, RJ Petrella gives the reader a suspenseful glimpse into the inner workings of the medical world through the story of Slater Barnes, an intern at Boston City Hospital during the 1990s. Passionate and idealistic, Slater has great enthusiasm for working at "the City," which has a proud reputation of caring for all of Boston's residents, regardless of socioeconomic status. But when the threat of a merger with an affluent private hospital threatens that mission, Slater and his fellow interns are thrust into a fight to preserve the City's integrity. Then things take a deadly turn when a resident is murdered.

The book opened with a gripping prologue that left out just enough detail to pique my curiosity. As I delved further into the story, I slowly began to piece together an explanation for the events within the prologue, but was still surprised by the book's ending (sorry, but I won't say anything specific for fear of including spoilers. Let's just say that this book is hardly predictable, as my guesses turned out to be flat-out wrong on several points.

The story is told from the first-person perspective and alternates between Slater and his deceased father, the latter of whom is narrating from Heaven. I particularly enjoyed the alternating narrative, as it provided insight that the reader would not have had from Slater's perspective alone. The author used a wonderfully conversational writing style to create distinct voices for both Slater and his father, which made me feel as if I was actually being spoken to by the characters themselves.

The characters in the novel are well-developed and believable. I found Slater to be likable overall, although some of his choices early in the book did get on my nerves. However, I am not complaining, as Slater's faults made him all the more realistic, and his strengths (such as his passion for helping patients) balanced out his less-than desirable qualities. Furthermore, Slater undergoes quite a bit of personal growth, and ends the story as a stronger and wiser person.

A unique aspect of this novel is that it provides a front-line perspective on the state of healthcare in the United States. The author is a physician himself, and I found the book's descriptions of the differences between public and private hospitals to be very interesting. Healthcare is a controversial subject in the United States, and getting to see the disparities through the eyes of a doctor was insightful.

Days of the Giants is an entertaining and thought-provoking book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy murder mysteries, medical dramas, or perhaps hold a more serious interest in the field of medicine.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! What an interesting concept, that the main character's deceased father narrates from Heaven. I enjoy books that aren't predictable. This one sounds like a winner!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! What an interesting concept, that the main character's deceased father narrates from Heaven. I enjoy books that aren't predictable. This one sounds like a winner!
Thank you, Bookowlie! I also particularly enjoyed the narration given by Slater's father, as I don't think I've ever encountered anything quite like it. It was indeed an interesting concept! If you get to read this book, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am adding it to my list. However, I have read so many mysteries recently that I think I need to change things up for a while. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It does sound interesting but I'm wondering if I might get lost with the medical terminology.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Nice review! Sounds like a good book. I'm curious to see how the author worked in the state of healthcare today into the plot.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:It does sound interesting but I'm wondering if I might get lost with the medical terminology.
Actually, the author was pretty good about explaining the terminology. I didn't feel like anything was over my head.

-- 08 Apr 2015, 15:43 --
Lisalovecraft wrote:Nice review! Sounds like a good book. I'm curious to see how the author worked in the state of healthcare today into the plot.
Thanks Lisalovecraft! As I said in the review, the book offers a physician's perspective on healthcare, and it is indeed interesting.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a great review! Seems like there are enough unique things about the book to make it an interesting read.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a great review! Seems like there are enough unique things about the book to make it an interesting read.
You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback! Yes, it is a very interesting book indeed!
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Good review. The aspect of the state of health care is quite a timely topic these days.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Outstanding review! It is hard to find a novel nowadays which one can navigate through already knowing what will happen next. But they are out there. Besides the unpredictability you've mentioned , I love reading about characters with different types of professional fields. I don't think I've ever read a book in which the main character is a doctor or something. I think I should read this as soon as I can.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I really enjoyed your review! Even though this doesn't sound like the type of book I usually read, I might have to give it a try after reading your analysis!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

amybo82 wrote:I really enjoyed your review! Even though this doesn't sound like the type of book I usually read, I might have to give it a try after reading your analysis!
Thank you, Amybo82! I don't normally go for medical mysteries either, but there was just something about this one that made me want to give it a chance, and as you can see, I was not disappointed!

-- 20 Apr 2015, 12:10 --
Leon Durham wrote:Outstanding review! It is hard to find a novel nowadays which one can navigate through already knowing what will happen next. But they are out there. Besides the unpredictability you've mentioned , I love reading about characters with different types of professional fields. I don't think I've ever read a book in which the main character is a doctor or something. I think I should read this as soon as I can.

Thank you very much, Leon! I think this was my first book that featured a doctor as the main character. I hope you get to read this book soon, it will not disappoint.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I wasn't going to read this review because I thought the book was maybe something about sports or maybe fantasy and I didn't think I would be interested. I think the author should think of a new title because now that I have read this review, I think this is a book that I would like to read. I just finished reviewing 'The Take Charge Patient' which is about trying to be prepared to navigate today's confusing health care system, so this book would be interesting to me looking at it from that perspective. I like this review because of the way it covers a lot of things about this book that I think would make it interesting, like the alternating narrative with one person being from heaven, the well-developed characters, learning about hospitals from a doctor's point of view, and the unpredictable mystery. Very nice review.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Amheiser wrote:I wasn't going to read this review because I thought the book was maybe something about sports or maybe fantasy and I didn't think I would be interested. I think the author should think of a new title because now that I have read this review, I think this is a book that I would like to read. I just finished reviewing 'The Take Charge Patient' which is about trying to be prepared to navigate today's confusing health care system, so this book would be interesting to me looking at it from that perspective. I like this review because of the way it covers a lot of things about this book that I think would make it interesting, like the alternating narrative with one person being from heaven, the well-developed characters, learning about hospitals from a doctor's point of view, and the unpredictable mystery. Very nice review.
Hi, Amheiser! Thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated! The name of the book may seem unusual for the topic, but an explanation for it is provided in the book. I can see where you would think that the book might be about sports or fantasy, though. I didn't really know what to expect when I first saw it; I just thought the title was interesting so I decided to give it a chance.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”