Review of Waterworks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Waterworks

Post by Austin Debby »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The espionage action book Waterworks by Jack Winnick tells the narrative of two American agents, Uri and his wife, Lara, as they go undercover in the Islamic Republic of Iran. The book examines the antagonistic connection between western and eastern nations in great detail. A recurring topic is a battle between Islam and Judaism, with the former being painted negatively. The book can be read independently or alongside the rest of the author's series.

The story of Waterworks is one of the cat-and-mouse games between the military and intelligence branches of the United States and Iran to see who can outsmart the other. One never knows what will happen next or who will prevail in the conflict, as the book keeps the reader on edge. The book is potentially problematic because it is pro-US and paints Iran as the bad guy. The Islamic faith is specifically under attack, and there is a connection between the faith and terrorist activities.

Because it refers to current events and real-world occurrences, the novel is thoroughly researched. The novel has several historically accurate pieces of information, which I felt was beneficial as it increased the story's realism. Additionally, the author tries to include genuine details in the narrative, with elements like Iranian culture and how people dress and behave. The author also delves deeply into the minds of terrorists, which I thought was incredibly engaging.

Along with the secondary but no less critical themes of authoritarianism, betrayal, suicide, and brutality, terrorism is the book's central theme. Despite embracing current affairs, the book maintains its distinctiveness as an action-adventure story at its core. Guns, murder, and thrilling chases abound in the book, which makes it perfect for spy-action readers.

Everything about the book, including how the plot unfolds and the use of historically correct details, was to my liking. The book was professionally edited. I didn't find any errors. There is one non-borderline profanity in the book, but other than that, there is not a lot of swearing. Neither erotic nor explicit scenes can be found in Waterworks.

I don't know how tolerant Islamic readers or individuals with Middle Eastern ancestry or culture can be while reading how Mr.Winnick portrayed them because it is contentious and blatantly criticises Islamic culture. This is my assertion and may not be entirely correct. However, this book is for those seeking a fantastic espionage adventure tale without religious overtones. With this book, Jack Winnick devotees will get another pleasure.

I've chosen to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because I liked the thrilling story.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”