Review of The Fisher Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review of The Fisher Man

Post by Mozi Ken »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fisher Man" by Ron Gambrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pain. A simple word, so easy to spell and pronounce, and yet so strong in feeling. If asked what the word "pain" means to us, we each have a thing or two to say. Elijah Haycraft experienced pain. He was abused by his father. He lost a girl he loved to leukemia. He was bullied. He was mocked. Nobody wanted anything to do with him except Billy, his best friend.

Elijah met Jane in a bar while hanging out with Gary, a co-worker. They got married and moved to the city. But Elijah got bored in the city. Then he was approached by Sarah Smith, who had been watching him for a while. Sarah wanted him to kill her father and fiance, who were terrorists and were planning to cause problems for America. To Elijah, it meant lots of money and a chance at excitement. But there were downsides to the offer. Did he accept this offer? If he did, was he successful? Were Sarah's father and fiance the only ones in on this plot? How well will Jane take to her husband working closely with a beautiful woman such as Sarah? Why is The Fisher Man an apt title for this book? Would you like to read the full story? Then read The Fisher Man by Ron Gambrell to find out.

It's so sad what Elijah had to go through when he was young. While reading, I felt his father was not mentally well. One time, Elijah's friend's sister was harassed by their schoolmate's dog while they were passing by. When he told his father, he took him at night to kill and skin the dog. I felt sick while reading this part of the story and wondered how Elijah maintained his sanity after all he went through at his father's hands. The author even wrote as though his father loved him but didn't know how to express it.

The author was a good storyteller. I was hooked from the first chapter. The book, from start to finish, was coordinated. I could spot no errors. The book was exceptionally well-edited. It was lengthy, but I enjoyed every part of it. I especially enjoyed reading about Elijah and his wife. They had their issues, but you could see their love for each other. I also loved discovering things about the climate that I didn't know about before. The only negative thing I noticed in the book was the sexual content. There were many sexual scenes in the book. I felt uncomfortable reading it with people around me. Besides this, the book was great.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the thrill of it and its storyline. While Elijah's childhood was sad to read, it had a lot of lessons to teach. The length might discourage some readers. But because the book is interesting, reading all of it won't be a problem. Some readers might not appreciate the sexual scenes. But some wouldn't mind it. I recommend this book to adults who enjoy thriller novels. I do not recommend this book to children and young teenagers because of the sexual content and profanity in it.

The Fisher Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I find myself wanting to read this novel. I’m very uncomfortable with sex scenes, too. They make me uncomfortable even when I am alone. I am interested in Elijah’s decisions and what becomes of him.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

This book is making me want to read it. Sex scenes make me feel quite uneasy as well. Even when I'm by myself, I find them to be unsettling. Elijah's choices and what happens to him intrigue me.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Some scenes are very disturbing to even read about secondhand, I don't know how you managed to read the actual book. I'll pass. But the review is well structured, so congrats!
Thompson Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thompson-grace.html
Latest Review: Give insomnia the finger by Dr Feel Good

Post by Thompson Grace »

Very intriguing review from the comments seems like the book has an outrageous sex scene. Though I enjoyed how you started your review. It was amazing. I will give it a try though.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This book is quite intriguing. I love the context. I’ll really like to know how Elijah was able to maintain himself and his sanity despite what he went through. Nice review!
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I'm quite interested to know why Sarah thought Elijah was the man for the job. It is also sad to read about the pain which he had experienced. Nicely written review.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

The plot of the book seems very interesting, and the questions you raised are exciting. This book would make a wonderful read.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

A book full of thrilling events and reviews that keep you hooked on suspense with a captivating storyline. What will be the outcome of the events that will occur? A good review.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

The introduction of the review is amazing. I would love to know how Elijah was able to maintain his sanity and if it somehow affects the decisions he makes later on in the book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

I truly hope Elijah doesn't ruin it by accepting Sarah's offer because he once lost everything and still found love. A must-read for everyone is this. The book is quite captivating
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I wonder if Elijah accepted Sarah's offer. I would love to read The Fisher Man by Ron Gambrell to find out. The review was absolutely fantastic - it provided a great summary of the book without spoiling anything, and I loved the insightful analysis of the characters and themes. The writer did an excellent job of engaging the reader and really bringing the story to life.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Elijah has really a tough personal history and after passing through hardship he has to decide about Sarah's offer knowing that, one way or another, it will have a great influence on his life. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

There's just so much one could endure in life. Having experience those pain and still had to experience the death of a loved one, is really saddening. I too a quick guess at what Elijah's choice would be. But I have to read the book to find out. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”